Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get your kids to do their chours

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM
  • 12 Replies

How do you get your kids to do their chours when they don't want to.

Bigmama224
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
67mermaid
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Okay I would love to answer this and say "because my child knows it's their house too and they are required to help out". But the truth is..... money. I pay my son 2.00 a week 3.00 if he practices his music everyday without being asked.

How this works.... I buy him NOTHING. When we are at a store, he wants something, I ask if he has the money, nope, then no.  I also make a point though to ask him if he needs anything so we can save up for it and we write it down and write down how much he has and how much he needs, this gives him motive. He loves grabbing his wallet and buying what he wants with his money! It's very gratifying to know he's worked so hard for something, and guess what, he takes care of these items!!

We built a routine. Everyday after school he comes home does his homework and before he goes outside or does anything else he does chores. The chores I gave him; sweeping (he has to stack the chairs on the table or move them into another room so he gets crumbs under the table) vacuuming the living room and organizing the entry way where everyone leaves their shoes. Nothing an 8 year old cant do. It's easy it helps me and he earns money.

Cafe Jenn
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM

My boys enjoy helping out most of the time.  I don't really have anything specific they have to do, other than put their coat, backpack and shoes where they belong but when I'm cleaning or daddy is cleaning they enjoy helping us out.

We are in the process of making a chore chart.  Nothing will be specific to each child but each thing on the list has an amount ranging from a quarter to a dollar that if they do that chore without being asked they earn that money. 

I think this will help them learn to save their money and understand that just like mommy and daddy work for their mommy, they need to work for theirs.

KidsHelper
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM

For me, the guilt works.  I tell them that they are part of this family and that I am not the only one that can do things.  Recently we spent the weekend doing some renovation stuff, so none of my normal chores got done.  I took all the laundry and put it in a pile.  The kids were shocked that there was so much.  DD decided to do laundry all that day.  I think she did get about 3 loads done, which is good considering she's 9.  DS washed dishes once he discovered that there were no clean spoons!  They both clean their own rooms because they can't have friends over if their room isn't "company ready".  They also have to help in the common areas of the house.  If they don't help out, I will throw things into a pile and tell them that in 5 minutes it will all go into the trash if it's not put away.  Believe me, a Nintendo DS is suddenly the most important toy in the world when mom just said she'd throw it away!  They have asked for money, but I refuse.  Nobody pays me to be part of this family, and when they are adults, nobody will pay them for keeping up their own homes.  I see no point in doing it now.

80sfan
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I give him an allownace every Friday if all his chores were done. Works great. he also earns thing by halping out. he is working toward a WII right now,

justanotherjen
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Depends on the chore and the kid.  For some chores, like emptying the dishwasher, all I have to do is say I need someone to empty it and it gets done.

For others, like cleaning their rooms (which is the most hated chore in the world for my kids) I bribe them, lol.  Actually if they clean their rooms in a timely fashion without whining/throwing a fit AND put stuff where it actually goes instead of piling it under their bed then they get to play the Wii or watch a movie or something.  If they refuse to clean, like my oldest daughter, they get to sit in their bed doing nothing until they are ready to help do their chores.  She spends a lot of time in her bed because she would rather sit there and pout then actually help clean up the house.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I started my boys out VERY young with chores. So it is more of a habit than a chore for them. Such as beds are made upon getting out of them in the morning. Shoes are placed in a certain place when not on feet. Coats and backpacks have to be hung up when not on. My boys will do whatever I ask of them with little complaints. I do not give and allowance for chores because they are a part of this family and household.

My boys have chore wrote on the calender. And once HW is finished they get started on them. They have until dinner to complete them. Dinner is at 5 ~ 5:30 depending on when SO gets home. If completed they are allowed TV, phone or computer time and weather permitting they can play outside.

And we have a routine that begins at 7pm every night. 

7pm ~ 7:30pm clean rooms. 

7:pm ~ 8pm shower and pj's on.

8pm ~ 8:30pm read a book

8:30pm ~ 8:45pm snack, then brush teeth

9pm ~ bedtime 

rkoloms
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Reward charts worked for us

Robin in Chicago

Nikkinak
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

I started my boys out VERY young with chores. So it is more of a habit than a chore for them. Such as beds are made upon getting out of them in the morning. Shoes are placed in a certain place when not on feet. Coats and backpacks have to be hung up when not on. My boys will do whatever I ask of them with little complaints. I do not give and allowance for chores because they are a part of this family and household.

I have started my kids young too, and I do not pay allowance either. My kids have a list of things  they are expected to do each day, mostly as a checklist for them. Basics AM- brush teeth, make bed, put lunch in backpack. PM- make lunch, tidy bedroom, tidy playroom, brush teeth, shower, and 1 chore that rotates daily for example our trash gets picked up Friday, so Thursday evenings my daughter has to empty the bathroom trash and my oldest son brings the trash can to the curb.

They are pretty good about doing their chores because their privileges are directly tied to their chores. I made magnets with foam shapes and each kid has their own, when they complete a chore or set of chores they earn a magnet or however many that chore gets. They cash in the magnets for tv, video game time, for sleep overs, etc. If they don't want to do their chore that's fine, but that means no privileges.

Nikki

vlester
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:19 PM

i just tell him to do them if he don't then there is a consequence

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Quoting vlester:

i just tell him to do them if he don't then there is a consequence

Same here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)