Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i worry about standardized testing for my 3d grader?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 8 yr old has his first big standardized test this spring.  I have heard a lot of the other moms talking about it - how important it is to prepare.

I know the school takes it seriously and they do lessons as the test comes up in March.

Should I not worry about this or should I try to figure out how to help him get prepared for a 3d grade standardized test?  it just seems a bit early to be feeling the stress of these types of things.

What do you think?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM

My son was in 3rd grade last year, and his school did all of the prep work.  The only thing I needed to do was go over some review paperwork they sent home with him.  He did a pretty good job for his first year, and so it went well in my opinion.

I guess how worried you should be about it probably depends how important this test is for your child's future.  I noticed some other parents said their kids might be held back for not passing.  This is not the case in my son's school district.  So I just leave the prep up to the teachers and go over whatever they might send home for review.

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I wouldn't even know where to begin unless the school sent home paperwork to review.  You could always review your state's content standards and see what they are supposed to learn in third grade. That could act as a general guide and you could take it from there.  I imagine they do much of the prep work at school.  The schools are so stressed out about testing that it's probably on their minds 24/7.

fiddymommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM

The curriculms are basically modeled around the tests, so they have been preparing for them all year long. Ask your child's teacher what they think your child might need help with and ask for some practice worksheets. Both my DDs teachers let me know what they need help with and if they don't I just ask them, they are always willing to help you help your child. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Last year was my ds first big standardized test and we did study.  The school sent home packets to help prepare.  We would do one or two pages of the packets with his homework.  It was fairly easy stuff but I think it did help him to know what to expect when it was time for the real test. 

rkoloms
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Make sure that your child gets a good night's sleep the night before, and eats a healthy breakfast (no sugar, no white bread, no nitrates, etc.)

Robin in Chicago

Barabell
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

Make sure that your child gets a good night's sleep the night before, and eats a healthy breakfast (no sugar, no white bread, no nitrates, etc.)

That is a great reminder too!  I forgot that last year my son's school district sent home fliers with the same information.

To OP, hopefully your school will keep in communication about what they need from you.  If they don't, I'm sure your child's teacher would be happy to let you know how you can help prepare your child for the tests.

vlester
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

yea if you are talking about CRCT then yes worry. If your kid does not pass then he/she will be repeating the 3rd grade. The school will do practice at school. I also go online and search for practice tests and when they send home tests I go over the ones he got wrong and explain to him how he can improve on that skill

prissnavy01
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

I agree here with this. I will say that for those students who we teachers think will not do well on their test we have sent home tutoring letters for the parents to sign and send back as to whether or not they agree to allow their child since it is after school. We are also pulling high risk students a side for an additional 30 minutes a day for intervention. If you are worried about your child not doing well on the test I would talk to his or her teacher to find out what they think. The standards they are tested on they have been learning all year. I would also look at if you see that your child is struggling in reading or math than maybe look at a tutoring service to help improve his/her grades. I would say that if you child was at risk for failing the test that you should have already been informed about it and ways to help them prepare. The biggest advice we give parents is not to stress over the test especially here in 3rd grade is the most important because if the fail the state test the are retained in 3rd grade no matter what their grades for the year are. If you stress out over the test your child might not do as well do to test anxiety from stress.

kylesmom
by on Jan. 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I did not stress over my sons

Mamato2angels
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM

my dd is also in the 3rd grade and will be taking this test real soon her teacher gave me this web site that they do at school and now she has been doing it a home to get her ready.this web site grades her too lets her know if she failed or passed or needs improvment.

the web site is called study island. you can google it. tkae a look you will like it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)