• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schools in Austin or San Antonio

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:04 AM
  • 7 Replies

We are looking to move out of California and one of the states we are looking into is Texas. The cities on our list is San Antonio and Austin. We are visiting Texas in the spring and I am curious about the different school districts in these cities.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CaLizzyMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM

We live in San Marcos (between the two) and DS goes to a small private school.  I know the elementary through junior high (public schools) are pretty good, but the high school has gotten bad in the last several years (last year only 2/3's of the senior class graduated).  On the news we are constantly hearing about schools in Austin being closed, because of poor performance, and recently AISD announce budget cuts for the upcoming year.  Look around at the small surrounding cities and towns, Round Rock (north of Austin) is really nice and Kyle (south of Austin) is a small town that has really grown in the last 2-3 years and they have several new schools.  Sorry I can't tell you more about the public schools, but if you have any other questions about the area just send me a message.  Hope you enjoy your visit!

rkoloms
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM

This is a fantastic resource: www.greatschools.org

Robin in Chicago

mompenguin
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Hi,

We recently moved from Cibolo (about 20 miles north of San Antonio).  We moved to the area due to my husbands reassignment (Army) and after looking at the schools decided on Cibolo.  The schools are very good - while we were there we had children in elementary, intermediate (5-6 grade), jr high (7-8 grade) and the high school.  We lived in the Scenic Hills area and our kids went to Sippel (which opened the 2nd year we were there), Jordan, Dobie and Steele.  The are building a new middle school and have gone through a couple of rounds of redistricting because parents were leaving the other middle school and high school in droves.

We also liked living out of the city.  I cannot speak for Austin, but crime in San Antonio is pretty bad.  Traffic is bad in both cities (it would take well over an hour for my husband to get to work and home- about 25 miles straight up I-35) and I have been stuck in Austin in evening traffic as well.

We've also lived outside of Houston and recenty settled in El Paso- where we plan on staying forever- so if you would like to ask me any other questions, please feel free!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM

bump  

momsangel143
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Thanks for all the info! I will definately be looking into all the areas mentioned!

My oldest is 9 and when we move she will be entering the 5th grade. She already goes to a high performing school and it is k-8 public, so for me I really want one that is either equal with where she goes or higher. I have a 1 year old as well so we have time.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Good luck! I hope you can find what you're looking for!

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

alyeska
by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 1:59 PM

We live in New Braunfels (between Austin and San Antonio) and we love the school we go to. I have only experienced 3rd and 4th grade here, but it has been great. We moved here from Utah and were really nervous about how well our kids would do, so we called the school and talked with the counselor... just amazing how open they are here. Definitely check out the school districts too... I think someone posted a website or go to the Texas state education website for TEKS Scores... I don't know much about any of the other areas. You can always e-mail me... my kids will be going into 5th grade next year as well.

Good luck!:)

Kim

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)