• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allowance - How Much?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you give your kids allowance?  If so, how much do you give them and at what age?  Do you put any stipulations on it?  (i.e., do they have chores or things they have to do to earn the allowance).

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Nada. I do not give them an allowance.

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

GenevieveD
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Pepper is 7 and she gets $10 a week. That's 5 from me and 5 from my SO. We each have little things we ask her to do, if she doesn't do them she doesn't get her money.

But really we hardly make her to anything, mostly it's just clean her place at the table and pick her dirty clothes

LovinSweetsMama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Nope nothing. My oldest may get some money if he is off of school and helps me when I go and clean my moms house. But for cleaning our house he gets nothing.

drea1176
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Both of the kids (9 & 10yrs) receive $10/week if they do all their chores (with minimal griping) & good weekly progress reports from school.  The progress report must state that they didn't have any late or missing homework assignments and their behavior was decent throughout the week. They have to put $4/month away into their savings account.  It isn't a lot but begins the importance of developing a savings plan, something my husband and I were never taught and learning the hard way.  :p

Also they have to use their allowence for things that they want that isn't spent as "family time".  Such as new video games, movie rentals, website subscriptions, magazine subscriptions, Skate Park admission, etc...

~Drea

hholllyy426
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:22 PM

We are in the process of putting together a chore list for our son and he can earn an allowance. He just turned 8, haven't gotten to the details yet.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

PaulinaK
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM

we dont do allowances....i never had one as a kid and neither did my husband and we dont really believe that it is beneficial to pay our kids for doing things around the house that they should be doing anyway....i do a ton around the house but i dont ask for money....so why should my kids...

I am a loving wife of 3 yrs. to a much older man named Russ (we are 21yrs apart) and a wonderful mother to a pretty little 5 yr old named Katelynn. I believe in Gay rights,"Love is love no matter what the gender", CIO,  extremely proud vaccinator,  proud spanker, NON co sleeping, (seriously, how screwed up is that), crib sleeping, independence and self soothing in children, formula is BEST  for ME (I CHOSE not to bf , I find it disgusting), and I am pro choice and a very happy and proud atheist.

JohnnySophiamom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Good question! I was thinking about this in the morning. I am looking forward to the answers:)

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

My boys get a bed to sleep in, three meals a day, clean clothes, etc. in return for the chores they do around the house.  No money though. 

The money they get for birthdays, holidays, or whatever crazy reason my dad cooks up to give the money; they get to spend how ever they want with no restrictions.

Mom of two boys ages 9 (third grade) and 6 (kindergarten)

drinking  baseball  playing soccer  puppy

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys get a bed to sleep in, three meals a day, clean clothes, etc. in return for the chores they do around the house.  No money though. 

The money they get for birthdays, holidays, or whatever crazy reason my dad cooks up to give the money; they get to spend how ever they want with no restrictions.

mine too on the chores. the holiday money goes to the piggy bank.

its a girlboy on a swingwearing crown

Lilith Jade           Calvin David           Kasi Lynn

jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM

We do $1/year so my 6 year old gets $6/week and my 9 year old gets $9/week.  Allowance for us is more about teaching responsibility of money so there really aren't chores attached to it.  The boys do have things they do around the house but that's more because they are part of the family and need to help out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)