Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

State Mandated Tooth Brushing

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the state mandate tooth brushing at day cares and/or public schools?

Options:

Yes - a great idea.

I guess - for those who need it but I would opt out

No - this is way too much involvement in my job as a parent

Not sure - I'd need to know how it would work

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

Yes, you read the title correctly - your STATE mandating tooth brushing for children. 

Yes, it's also true. At least one state is mandating that child in daycare longer than four hours and/or who eat a meal must have their teeth brushed on-site. (Parents send in the brush, which is to be replaced every few months, or if the kid is out sick.).   Some public school systems are adapting the regulations for older children.

So what do you think?  Good idea? Bad idea? Who will oversee? How will anyone prevent cross contamination/usage?  Is the state going too far into the responsibilities of parents?  Would you "opt out" if this were implemented in your day care or school system?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM

i wouldn't mind if they asist my child but to demand it is a bit much control for me. 

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM

This is would be way too much state involvement in my life.  It's one thing to permit daycare centers and schools to allow kids to brush their teeth and assist them if necessary. It's something entirely different for the state to mandate it.  No Way!

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM

In preschool my kids had a program called Smile Keepers where they brushed their teeth at school. It was not mandated, and it cost $15. I enrolled my children. I did not see any harm in having them brush their teeth an extra time a day. They had dental assistants come in every few months and do exams and talk about how important it is. I see no harm. For it to be mandated is pretty sad because that means there is a reason. Alot of parents just dont care.

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

auroragold
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM

It seems like yet another intrusion into my role as a parent.

Besides the fact that it totally skeeves me out that they (providers) would not be cautious about keeping toothbrushes/toothpaste separate for children.  The potential for mix-ups seems HUGE to me.

It may not SEEM like the problems would be huge but communicable diseases -- - amongst the toddler set -- - passed mouth to mouth - wow.  We all know that sick kids are sick and contagious BEFORE showing symptoms so with one "oops" there is more chance that another child gets exposed to that sickness.

Not likely you think?  A story in the local news here last week:  teachers were getting their H1N1 flu shots from the school nurse.  OOPS - she gave them INSULIN instead.  Yep a student's insulin was used instead of H1N1....good thing no one died because of her mix up 

Auroragold
CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Quoting auroragold:

It seems like yet another intrusion into my role as a parent.

Besides the fact that it totally skeeves me out that they (providers) would not be cautious about keeping toothbrushes/toothpaste separate for children.  The potential for mix-ups seems HUGE to me.

It may not SEEM like the problems would be huge but communicable diseases -- - amongst the toddler set -- - passed mouth to mouth - wow.  We all know that sick kids are sick and contagious BEFORE showing symptoms so with one "oops" there is more chance that another child gets exposed to that sickness.

Not likely you think?  A story in the local news here last week:  teachers were getting their H1N1 flu shots from the school nurse.  OOPS - she gave them INSULIN instead.  Yep a student's insulin was used instead of H1N1....good thing no one died because of her mix up 

When my kids had it in their preschool they each had caps for their tooth brushes and they had a holder where they couldnt touch eachother. They also had their names written on them. My children did not get sick all the time...................... It wasnt a big deal for us.

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I would have to know more about the program before a I pass judgement.

On one hand, it sounds like a great idea that could reduce dental costs down the road.  On the other hand, it seems a little silly if the school or daycare would be punished if they have issues implementing it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM

My children brush their teeth in the morning and before bed as recommended by their dentist.  They have never had a cavity or any other tooth/mouth problems.  I don't think that it is necessary for the schools to mandate this.  I say let the teachers teach and the parents parent.

Mom of two boys ages 9 (third grade) and 6 (kindergarten)

drinking  baseball  playing soccer  puppy

My3Sons72916
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with it.  My 4 year old is in Head Start and they brush their teeth after breakfast and lunch and twice a year a local dentist will come in and do a quick check of their teeth and if they have any concerns they send the parents a note.  I love the idea, wish they would have done it when I was a kid.  Would have saved me a ton of dental work, my teeth would be better off now, I think and I might have a lot less anxiety about dentist.  It should be something the parents have to sign off on though.

Why can't we all just get along?

Daylex
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I am wondering what data they have collected that indicated this intervention was needed.  I would be interested to see since programs aren't typically implemented without addressing an existing issue.  While I feel mandating it is a bit harsh I do completely understand the importance of this, my husbands got his dentures at 26 ... obviously caring for his teeth wasn't very high on his parents list (nor his since he didn't learn its importance).  Perhaps if more parents did their jobs teachers wouldn't have to try to pick up the slack :(

The three kinds of family: Those we are born to, those who are born to us, and those we let into our hearts.
-Sherrilyn Kenyon (Author)
weaveress
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM

my son went to a daycare where it was required that he brush his teeth after meals. he usually ate lunch and sometimes breakfast there. i had no problem with it whatsoever. he got good habits from that place when i couldnt be around. i wish the schools would allot time for this too. i know as a person who had braces and had to brush after every meal i felt odd going to brush during recess because no one else had too.

its a girlboy on a swingwearing crown

Lilith Jade           Calvin David           Kasi Lynn

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)