Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mad at myself

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM
  • 11 Replies

So, my kids got their report cards today.  My older two did great.  Both my older kids (8th and 4th grades) made Honor Roll and I'm very proud of them.  Well, my kindergartener did horrible!  She's behind in everything!  The teacher wrote a note saying she's worried that if she doesn't catch up, she'll have to repeat kindergarten.  Well, this is all my fault.  I was way more involved with my older kids when they were her age.  For some reason, I dropped the ball with her.  I feel SO bad!!  It's only the middle of the year so I'm hoping we can get her caught up or close and then work on it over the summer.  Get her where she needs to be.  I know it's going to be a lot of time and effort, but I owe it to her.  I could just kick myself.  All this time wasted.  I got lazy and she's paying for it.  I swear I will get her caught up. 

That's my parenting fail. 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamacalifornia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Don't feel bad, I think that it happens to a lot of families. Your youngest will get caught up if and pass Kindergarten!!

hholllyy426
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Don't beat yourself up about it. I am trying my hardest to get my son caught up, he's in 2nd, and there is only so much I can do. We do things at home and he does great but at school its the opposite. They say he's below grade level in math and reading but when he does it at home it's like there is nothing wrong.

You'll get her caught up and I'm sure she'll do great.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

Michele-w3
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Thanks.  I know she'll get it if I work with her.  I'm just so mad at myself for being lazy with her.  Luckily she's smart, just working with her for an hour she got her birthday and address memorized.  So I know if I just put in the time, she'll catch up quickly. 

rkoloms
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Don’t beat yourself up! Have a meeting with the teacher, to make sure that you are both on the same page with what your daughter needs to work on.

Robin in Chicago

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

Don’t beat yourself up! Have a meeting with the teacher, to make sure that you are both on the same page with what your daughter needs to work on.

Great advice!

Zakysmommy
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Ok, first off....It's only kindergarten.  Secondly, all children do NOT learn at the same rate.  Some kids take longer than others.  All you need to do is go to her teacher and find out what you can do to help.  AND if she does have to repeat kindergarten it's NOT a bad thing, better her repeat and catch up then going through the rest of her school years behind.

tlmac71
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I am sure you are a great mom don't beat yourself up on this. Like you said you did work with her and she was getting it, so there is hope that with a lot of effort she will get to where she needs to be. I have a 9th grader and one in kindergarden and sometimes with the older ones the work can be much harder and they need a little more help you are only one person and there is only so much you can do. I know that this past moth I have not spent as much time as I should have with my little guy but I am planning to change that so that he can do better. Don't worry I am sure she will do just fine.

babyfat5
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM

it is not just your fail it is the teacher's fail as well. IF she is that far behind they should be having extra help come in and tutor her. Also things to consider, does she maybe have a learning disability? Does she hate her teacher? Is the teacher herself any good?

Let me tell ya for kids 1-3 I couldn't help them I was working and going to school. They did just fine. Kid 4 I was home and noticed the kid was not picking up stuff even close to what she should be. I am dyslexic and so is about 1/2 of my family. I spoke to the teacher and express my concern only to get oh she is just slower than the other's she will catch up. First grade was the same thing. Teacher refused to test her for anything and said no problem she is just slower than others. The second grade teacher finally said let's test her and by that point she was in second grade reading on kindergarten level. I wanted to kill the previous teachers. Well an IEP later she is very close to being on 3rd grade level and non disabled kids in her class are not doing as well as she is.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Wow, she's only in Kindergarten!  Besides helping with homework, what else should be done at that age?  I just don't understand.  I though Kindergarten was to set a foundation, socially and educationally, for the upcoming school years.  I usually hear teachers talk about holding kids back at that age due to social issues, and not learning issues.  I find this very surprising.

Good luck, and you still have plenty of time to work with your daughter.  Please try to quit feeling bad about the past, and just work towards the future.  I'm sure she'll do great!

sharonamomof3
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

My daughter is in first grade and she is a little behind and the teacher said that is normal, not all kids work and learn at the same rate, just keep working with her and she will be caught up and pass the rest of them, my daughter gets alot of attention with homework and she is not catching up where she needs to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)