Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Behavior Plan

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM
  • 8 Replies

So the school put my son on a positive behavior plan last week, he's been on it before but stopped cuz he wasn't having any issues last year in 1st grade, but this year is a different story. He is evaluated on every part of his day and if there are no incidents he gets a green card for the day, minor incidents a yellow card and for major incidents a red. For every 5 green cards he brings home he gets something big (we did sleepovers, DQ, McDonalds, and something else) and then for 2-3 green cards something smaller (extra video game time) and if he only brings home 1 then it's really small (extra cartoon time), all this over a 1 week period. DH and I also added that if he brings home green cards for an entire month (about 20 cards) then he can get a new toy or video game (used). Since he's started he's had nothing but green cards and he's doing fantastic. My son takes medication for his adhd, it's so severe that he has to take it on the weekends. He also has anxiety and ODD. Anyways this past weekend we didn't give him any meds, since we only had one pill left and we're going to the docs today to up the dosage. He did really well and we had a lot of running around to do and it was his birthday. I had to keep reminding him to stay focused, pay attention, and settle down when we were in the stores but it wasn't really bad like it was. I am so proud of him.  Just wanted to share my joy since it's been a really long time since we've had this.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
vikat317
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM

just wanted to say that is awesome....i have been around kids with those problems before and i know they can be a handful (not their fault) but it's always nice when they have an awesome day!!!!! ill pray for another day like that for you :)

MIddle-AgedMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Congrats, I know what a joy that must be!  Hope he keeps up the good behavior for you :0)

Middle-Aged Mom
drea1176
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM

That's awesome, my dd has ADHD and has a 504 Plan (she's also been dx'd with Bipolar NOS), however this is the first year in the past 3 since dx that I haven't had to fight with the teacher to stick with it.  In the second grade we did the color card thing but her teacher was abusive towards my dd and it didn't work.  All my dd had to do was come into the classroom and she got her card turned it seemed (she got 4 green card days in an entire YEAR).  Unfortunately we were in a school that they couldn't move her to another class so we were forced to stuck with her abuse all year long -- that was after 5 months of begging the school counselor & principal to step in.  It's a LONG story and a year I wish I could delete and redo another way for my dd's sake.  The teacher this year wanted to do the color card system with dd during our 504 yearly review but dd nixed it herself and they came up with something else.  It's great for all when you find something that works for the child!!!!

~Drea

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM

That is GREAT!!!!!

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Congrats! You must be so proud of him!  YEAH!!!!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:43 PM

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My third grader has severe anxiety so I can understand your excitement.  I'll bet it made the weekend even sweeter.

Mom of two boys ages 9 (third grade) and 6 (kindergarten)

drinking  baseball  playing soccer  puppy

hholllyy426
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Thanks. The doctor upped his dosage and perscribed him a ssri to help ease his anxiety, ocd behaviors, sleep, and possibly with his ODD. We're also gonna have him retested to make sure what he was originally diagnosed with is what he really has and not other things. He has 4 green cards right now, if he gets another one tomorrow he'll be able to have his sleepover this weekend.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

kylesmom
by on Jan. 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM

congrats on your success

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)