Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about rocket math ( trying to do 25 math quesions in 1 min)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM
  • 7 Replies

Does anyone know anything about I got a note home saying my son needs help because he is going to slow he knows the math if you give him the same problems on the rocket math page he can do it with no help. He is just like me he is slower about doing things and if you hurry us we make mistakes and that is what is happening here.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kylesmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:00 PM

no sorry

Elizabeth4980
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:38 PM

What kind of questions are we talking?  Basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division stuff?  The thing about those is they want kids to get to a point with their memorization and familiarity with the problems so they can come up with the answer without thinking it through - just know it.  And that just takes practice and repetition, and lots of it.  Try flashcards or timed tests of your own at home to practice every night so that he can get to the point where he can just look at a problem and know the answer and not have to think it through each time.  Having these basic facts really embedded in his brain will make higher mathematics so much easier for him as time goes on if he can just focus on the higher operations and doesn't have to sit and think through the simple stuff too.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Quoting Elizabeth4980:

What kind of questions are we talking?  Basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division stuff?  The thing about those is they want kids to get to a point with their memorization and familiarity with the problems so they can come up with the answer without thinking it through - just know it.  And that just takes practice and repetition, and lots of it.  Try flashcards or timed tests of your own at home to practice every night so that he can get to the point where he can just look at a problem and know the answer and not have to think it through each time.  Having these basic facts really embedded in his brain will make higher mathematics so much easier for him as time goes on if he can just focus on the higher operations and doesn't have to sit and think through the simple stuff too.

I have to agree with this.  My son in third grade can now do 100 addition/subratction facts in 2 minutes or less - crazy I know, but it just takes practice.  That and I think he inherited my math genes. lol

Mom of two boys ages 9 (third grade) and 6 (kindergarten)

Allison489
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM

My oldest had problems with multiplication facts.  We finally told him that he needed to memorize them by the following Monday.  To make it more palatable, we let him play some multiplication games on the computer.  There are an awful lot of math games that can be really helpful with increasing speed and accuracy.  We really liked the mathmagician, if I remember the name correctly.  It gave twenty problems per minute and issued a certificate with my child's name on it whenever he got a high enough score.  That made him feel really good and gave him an incentive to keep trying.  He had them all down cold by the end of the weekend and hasn't struggled with them since. 

It has been really important for him to be able to master the speed because it makes it possible for him to get his more advanced homework done in a reasonable time that doesn't leave him feeling like he never gets a break from school and some play time.

rkoloms
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Timed math tests are all about practice. Have you son do a few every night, and several times on the weekends. I made worksheets at home, with software similar to this: http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/

Robin in Chicago

Mommy_Carebear
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I bet so.  My daughter is in 2nd grade and they do this a lot .  They have done them so much that she is getting faster and more confident.  Maybe try timing him at home where he feels more comfortable so he can gain the confidence to take back to the classroom.  Make it a game - my daughter really likes to show us she can do it. 

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

Timed math tests are all about practice. Have you son do a few every night, and several times on the weekends. I made worksheets at home, with software similar to this: http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/

I agree. Timed tests are another means of charting progress. My son is in 2nd grade they use rocket math to supplement the everyday mathematics curriculum. My son is currently doing subtraction facts and he is completing 40 facts/minute.

Flash cards are another great tool to help practice math facts and increase speed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)