Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son is in the third grade and is having problems learning his spelling words.  I am looking for any advice out there to help him.  I have him write the words in alphabetical order, write each word 5 times and/or we have practice spelling tests.  He hates it and I am beginning to because I can't seem to motivate him to want to learn the words.

Have any advice??!?!!?
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 5:01 PM
Replies (11-12):
jasgab
by on Apr. 18, 2007 at 11:58 AM
Did you know we all have different learning styles?  Some of us are visual learners, some auditory learners and some tactile/kinesthetic (hands on).  Maybe you need to spell the words out loud to your son, then either have him repeat the word out loud or write it down.  Try it, it might work!
Deanalove
by on Apr. 18, 2007 at 12:03 PM
Does he like music? Drum beats? Have him tap or clap to the spelling of the words. Let him make up sentences with them or a short song. Play scrabble with him. Pick out all the letters that are on his list and use only those. My daughter is 6, she watched me play scrabble and eventually she had memorized the words I was spelling, and now she can spell them too
This may take longer for a boy though. Unless he is really into it. I am not sure what all a 3rd grader is into so i don't know if this will help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)