Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GIVING/CHARITY

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM
  • 12 Replies

Do you explain/teach your child(ren) about charity/giving???

My son's school(local elementary) collects pennies for their pre-k programs and other coins for Haiti. We also donate toys to different organizations as well as do the Angel Tree at Christmas.(And we would put money in just about EVERY Salvation Army bucket this year.) Recently we did a bake sale (Cookies for Kid's cancer); another bake sale & Playathon for Haiti.

I try to explain the best I can to my son why and what we are doing and for who......he seems to 'get it'...and it makes me so proud and happy that I'm raising a 'CARING' child. I think Glenn Beck spoke of having a giving jar (or Christmas Jar) where you fill a jar with change and then leave it on the door step of someone in need anonymously around Christmas time...I thought that was a great idea......(I believe there's a book by Jason Wright called Christmas Jars) Also you can read 'The Giving Tree' & Fred Rogers also has a book called the Giving Box some come with a tin box~to shave money for charity.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM

My son knows all about giving. We give all of his old clothes to charity and we donate to the SPCA to save homeless animals.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Yes, we do explain that to our son.  We give all gently used clothes items and things we aren't using anymore to charities, like the Salvation Army.

His school does multiple charity fundraisers a year, and they encourage giving back to people less fortunate.  Last week, his school collected Pennies for Patients.  Then next month they're raising money for clean water in Africa.  They're also asking for used books to raise money for another cause also, but I don't remember what.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Quoting Barabell:

Yes, we do explain that to our son.  We give all gently used clothes items and things we aren't using anymore to charities, like the Salvation Army.

His school does multiple charity fundraisers a year, and they encourage giving back to people less fortunate.  Last week, his school collected Pennies for Patients.  Then next month they're raising money for clean water in Africa.  They're also asking for used books to raise money for another cause also, but I don't remember what.

Our school doesn't do anything like that, but I would love if they did.

ladyvamp5489
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

We donate alot to SVDP and Goodwill  things we outgrow or dont need anymore. We also get foodboxes when we need to and donate food when we can so YES my kids know about charities and  helping the needy.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting Barabell:

I really love that his school does do things like that.  He was talking to my mom and I about the upcoming fundraiser for the clean water in Africa, and he was just so excited about it.  He kept talking about how much the whole school could help if everyone just brought in one dollar.  I love that he's already aware that if everyone gives just a small amount it can make a huge difference.  I know they step up the charity awarness even more next year, and so I'm excited to see what projects his class will come up with in 5th grade.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Yes, I have explained about such things to my boys. They also like to pick out toys to donate as well as clothing. They even donated all of the contents in their piggy bank to the Haiti funds.(w/o even telling me, lol). They also pick out a new pair of shoes during the back to school shopping to donate to our local Wendy's for the shoe drive. And a new toy during the Christmas holiday to add to the Toys for Tots box in the Walmart and at school. They have even donated pet supplies to local animal shelters.

My boys love the feeling of doing something that will make a difference in another person's life. During free time if they don't wanna play with toys we make feel better or smile cards for a local nursing home and children's hospital. We fill a evelope each month and send it out.

mfulks
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM

we do every drive the school has plus all my boys give one of there gifts to angel evrey year.the one we have the most fun with is we adopt a soldier that is fighting over seas and send them packages and emails and phone calls we have made some really wonderful friends and i have gained a son one of our soldiers calls me mom and my boys his brother he is only 22

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting Barabell:

I really love that his school does do things like that.  He was talking to my mom and I about the upcoming fundraiser for the clean water in Africa, and he was just so excited about it.  He kept talking about how much the whole school could help if everyone just brought in one dollar.  I love that he's already aware that if everyone gives just a small amount it can make a huge difference.  I know they step up the charity awarness even more next year, and so I'm excited to see what projects his class will come up with in 5th grade.

That is wonderful. My son is more environment conscience. He is always worried that we are recycling the right way and not hurting the planet.

vlester
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM

yea we give his too little clothes to needy kids since they don't be in bad shape and it teaches him to help others as well as take care of his stuff, Also he do the same for toys

LovelyLadyLola
by on May. 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Raising caring kids is great. Perhaps when those same children reach adulthood we won't have such a problem with healthcare, as it stands, right now an unfortunate 9 million children die yearly from not having adequate healthcare to treat their preventable illnesses.

I’m working on behalf of Save The Children and the Ad Council to let you know about their national public service campaign, “See Where the Good Goes.” Local health workers are critical when it comes to newborn and child survival in the developing world. Thanks to the extension of basic health care by health workers to children and mothers in developing countries, every 4 seconds a child is being saved..

Check out the Where the Good Goes campaign here: Goodgoes.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)