Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is RONALD MCDONALD the enemy?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM
  • 27 Replies

I was reading  this article on CNN this morning about a group that plans on pressuring the McDonald Corporation to give the clown the boot!  Yep, they state:

The mascot makes children “vulnerable to manipulations to marketing” and turns them on to junk food

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm  - - I have a confession to make. My kid new about chicken mcnuggets long before she had a clue about Ronald McDonald.  Matter of fact, I remember her asking WHO IS THAT GUY after finally seeing a commercial or picture or something.  

You know - I'm not sure I've seen too many commercials with him either. I've seen a few of those Happy Meal commercials but I can't recall that he's there.

So......is THE MASCOT the enemy? Is it the clown that is promoting unhealthy eating habits? Or is this just another group gone off the deep end?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandie66
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Whatever. No he is not shown in their commercials. But the "KING" is always in Burger King's commercials. My daughter has never mentioned Ronald either. She is 7 and like their chicken nuggets and playgrounds. Her wanting to go to Mickey Dees has nothing to do with the clown!!

MrsDavid
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Parents who refuse to acknowledge their part in creating unhealthy eating habits and unhealthy children are the people to blame.

Seriously.  It is SOLELY the parents responsibility to teach, model, etc.

Zakysmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM

OMG, these "studies" are soooo stupid.  Really stupid.  It's the parents that constantly feed their children fast food are the ones to blame!  I love how society is creating scapegoats for peoples failures as parents, and sometimes as human beings!

momma2JD
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:10 AM

My son know who Ronald was because of the Ronald McDonald house I once stayed in while he was in the hospital, not for him being in the commercials. I don't think it is the mascot's fault for unhealthy eating, I think in most of the commercials with him it the kids are eating chicken, apples and drinking milk or juice. It is the parents who let their kids eat unhealthy fault and refuse to tell their children no when it comes to junk food or give it to them in moderation. We eat McDonald's maybe 4 times a year (just cause I don't care for the food).

auroragold
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Good point about the Ronald McDonald house!  Wonder what they suggest for a new mascot there, huh?!?

I agree that it's ridiculous to blame the marketing for over indulging in junk food. Yes, I let my child have McDonald's sometimes.  But it's up to ME as the parent to regulate, monitor and educate her regarding the healthfulness of foods.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I just think people have nothing else better to crab about. I am so tired of people telling other people how to live and what to do with their lives. Worry about your own house and leave me and mine alone. I have no reason or need to judge what other people do and feel if that is how others would feel there would be a lot less murders and crap going on in the world. I am sorry if others dont agree, but that goes right back to people telling me how to think and feel.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

If the group is so concerned over what the kids are eating, why are they pushing for additional healthy food options in the kids meals instead of making an issue over the Ronald McDonald?

I have no issue with Ronald McDonald, and I also wonder what the plans would be for the Ronald McDonald House if this group actually got their way.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I have to say that my boys don't have a clue who Ronald McDonald is.  Then again fast food is usually only a once in a very great while treat at my house, less than 10 times a year.

Never mind the fact that parents have the right and responsibility to tell their kids NO!  Simple as that, who cares what the tv is telling you that you need, I am your mother and I say NO!

lvmom76
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:43 PM

No he is not! Most parents have brains and can choose healthier foods! I grew up with Ronald McDonald and it was a monthly treat to go there and eat! Also I played and played and played outside all day!

cowboysgirl3227
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Quoting Zakysmommy:

OMG, these "studies" are soooo stupid.  Really stupid.  It's the parents that constantly feed their children fast food are the ones to blame!  I love how society is creating scapegoats for peoples failures as parents, and sometimes as human beings!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)