Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Bedrooms?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM
  • 9 Replies

What are your thoughts on making your kids keep their rooms clean? I struggle with letting my 9 and 7 year old have control of their own space and my natural clean-freak streak to make them keep it clean and tidy at all times.

I am a clean freak who lives with three slobs -- my husband in particular. What tools and strategies do you use to control the clutter and help keep the sanity?

Veronica
Wife to Ken
Mom to Mackenzie and Bob
http://www.iteachscraps.blogspot.com/

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I clean my sons room everyday. He makes his bed and picks up the toys, but the actual cleaning is left to me. I am really anal about how things are done and I will just go behind everyone and redo it the way I want. Its not worth arguing and screaming about it with my son or my SO, so I just do it. I am home during the day anyways so I know its clean everyday.

auroragold
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I had to give up SOME of the control.  DD is required to clean her room every Saturday. I specified exactly what that means so there is no conflict between what *I* mean as clean and what *SHE* thinks is clean:

1) strip sheets
2) all laundry in the basket and the basket moved to the laundry room
3) all toys/books put in their spaces
4) trash removed

mysweet1s
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM

My kids are required to make their beds and tidy up their rooms everyday before school.  We vacuum and dust their rooms together on Saturday mornings (almost always, although I honestly can't say EVERY.)  I totally get what you are saying about allowing them to have their space, but I also think its important to teach kids about being responsible for the uptake of a home...maybe I will spare their spouses some grief someday :)

ASF
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM

My kids at 6 and 8 keep their rooms pretty clean.  We just tell them they have to stay in there untill the room is presentable.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM

We started at a young age giving our son an allowance for his room to be completely clean by bedtime on Sunday night.  Every once in a while, he decided that he didn't want the allowance, and so he realized it was twice as hard the next week.  That pretty much got him into the routine of putting things back where they belong when he was done playing with it.  So it's not really a struggle anymore to get him to clean or pick up his room.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Here is my rule.  Your room is your space, you must clean it once a week (normally Sunday evening).  Other than that I shut the door and don't look at it.  Their junk is not permitted to be laying around in any other room of my house though.  If I do find it laying around else where, I throw it away.

lvmom76
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:46 PM

My older son picks up his room and helps his little brother! I supervise!

Armywife1998
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Quoting auroragold:

I had to give up SOME of the control.  DD is required to clean her room every Saturday. I specified exactly what that means so there is no conflict between what *I* mean as clean and what *SHE* thinks is clean:

1) strip sheets
2) all laundry in the basket and the basket moved to the laundry room
3) all toys/books put in their spaces
4) trash removed

I too do this with DD.  I have added d/t her age the chore of sweeping and mopping her bedroom floors. I gave up the fight a long time ago about daily tidying of the room. It was more stress for me than it was for DD.

nurseThere is no need to speak when surrounded by greatness.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Nightly my boys have to go in at 7:30 and put away toys, laundry, etc.They have until 8 to finish b/c then it is book time until 8:30 and then snack, shower, and sleep by 9. Beds are to be made when they get out of them in the morning. Sweeping, dusting and mopping is done on Sat. morning by them. They even wash the windows on Wed. after homework.

If I find toys on the floor when I go in to kiss them goodnight and tuck them in I take it for toy time out(one month). So they are sure to keep things put away. My youngest lost his entire room except the bed and bedding for a month.(yes, I removed his desk and ALL toys, posters, etc.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)