Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yard sale...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

So we are into the season of Spring cleaning. And it got me wondering if after you clean out the closets and the garage and whatever else. WHAT do you do with unwanted items that are still in good shape.

Do you have a yard sale?

What do you do with items not sold?

Do you donate the money from the YS to charity?

If your child has toys in the YS do you give them the money from items sold?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I dont have ys because my neighborhood is small. My future in laws have one every year and yes we give them some stuff to sell for us. Whatever is not sold goes to the goodwill or Amvets. Where the money goes will depend on what is going on at the time. This year any money made will  go to the wedding.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM

We give all our old clothes, toys, etc to friends or a charity.

I've never done a yard sale.

auroragold
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM

We employ a variety of methods:

1) DD is taller than ALL of her peers so clothes in good condition get handed down if wanted

2) Those that aren't wanted are offered via FreeCycle

3) Things that could earn some decent money are placed on Craigslist or Ebay

Yes, I allow DD to keep the money she earns from selling her toys. However she must put 1/2 into her savings account.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM

It has been a few yrs since I have held a yard sale. I am thinking about holding one this summer. Maybe I can persuade the kids to get rid of some toys this way, lol. As for the money we earn it goes into a savings account for vacation with the kids. Anything not sold usually is given to someone that can use it or donated to the goodwill. Stuffed animals are donated to a local animal shelter for the dogs to play with.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Our Cub Scout pack has a yard sale every May to raise money for the pack activites.  So I donate all of our toys, books, household items, etc to that.  Any out grown clothing gets donated to my church's St Vincent DePaul Society, they help people in need in our parish and they also take household items.

So basically all of my stuff gets donated to good causes and my children learn about helping others.

mfulks
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM

i usually donate mine to our schools resource center or to the goodwill. but man i love to shop at yard sales. hmmm i wonder if there r any this weekend   lol

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Quoting mfulks:

i usually donate mine to our schools resource center or to the goodwill. but man i love to shop at yard sales. hmmm i wonder if there r any this weekend   lol

I wish our school to a recycle type of thing so the other kids in the school who can use them, get them. That is a great idea.

hholllyy426
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

We live in student housing and don't have a yard to do a yard sale, but this year we are joining my MIL and her neighbor for a yard sale. Normally I just donate the items. Whatever doesn't sale I think we'll just donate to Goodwill. No, we don't donate money to charity because the main reason why we're having it is because we all need the money. My son has agreed to sale his toys and he said he'll be getting the money for his toys and I fine with that.

rkoloms
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Our neighborhood has a garage sale weekend every year. The leftovers go on Freecycle.

Robin in Chicago

bether89
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I have a yard sale and use the money to buy my kid's clothes.  What is left over is donated to a church thrift store.  The money from toys go to the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)