Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you "entertain" your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM
  • 36 Replies

My  kids are off this week for spring break and they have very expensive tastes in activities.  We went to the natural history museum on Monday.  My son had a friend over yesterday.  Now they want to go minature golfing, go karting or to a movie.  I was thinking the zoo because we have a membership or the park which received thumbs down from both of them (I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old).  I'd take them to a movie but they can't agree on one.  I'm so done with this week! 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2boysandgirl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM

My kids are playing outside and that is about it.  I took them to the park yesterday but I am not an events coordinator for the week.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Personally my kids have zero say in what we decide to do. But as far as entertaining them goes, it depends on the funds and time. They are usually pretty happy with the zoo(membership as well) or the park. Heck they love just going out into the yard and playing in the grass.

Maybe to make the movie suggestion fair put a few of the titles in a bowl and draw one. That way you aren't picking sides and it's fair. Good luck with the rest of the week. Mine are off until Tue.

StephanieSH
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I think I got in the bad habit of being an event coordinator.  It's hard because we have a small backyard and kids in the neighborhood don't play with each other so you really have to orchestrate playdates or nothing happens.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I dont really entertain him. He is so good about entertaining himself. This year for break he will be recovering from his tonsils and adnoids being out so I am not sure if he will be doing much of anything. If he is, my MOH and her family are going to be home for break the same week so we will  be over there with them.

lvmisnenes
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM

We had spring break two weeks ago and I was planning the same kind of activities and made it through the middle of the week before they told me to slow down.  I have tween who were fine with going out and doing things but also wanted to play outside, sleep in a little, watch tv, play board games. 

auroragold
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM

We "entertain" on zero budget. Yep - no museum membership or zoo membership either.  Parks, nature hikes (best when it's good and muddy to increase the fun), bike riding, anything outdoors.

For inside - board games, projects (empty boxes always work!) and the like.

StephanieSH
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM

We went to the library yesterday and that took up some time.  Part of the problem is that I have a very active 7 year old boy and a very calm and girly 4 year old girl who like very different things.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I do very little entertaining. lol  We will go to the zoo once a year, and to another attraction like an amusement park or museum once a year as well. 

We have put our money into our own back yard.  We have a huge pool, a huge play set, tons of sports equipment and outdoor toys.  They each have their own bike and roller blades.  And we also own a racing go-cart.  So if someone is bored at my house, they really need to take a good look around before I give them some cleaning to do. 

StephanieSH
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I do very little entertaining. lol  We will go to the zoo once a year, and to another attraction like an amusement park or museum once a year as well. 

We have put our money into our own back yard.  We have a huge pool, a huge play set, tons of sports equipment and outdoor toys.  They each have their own bike and roller blades.  And we also own a racing go-cart.  So if someone is bored at my house, they really need to take a good look around before I give them some cleaning to do. 

My kids are spoiled because they go to Disneyland so often so that's the trip against which they compare all others.  LOL!   It's hard to compete with Disneyland.  My parents buy them tickets at least three times a year and it's usually the So Cal 2fer deal where you get to go back to California Adventure.  Now we just bought annual passes so we can go more often. We bought the least expensive ones that have a lot of black out dates (like this week) but we can go most of the summer and almost every Sunday (not that we will).

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Same here. There is way to much to do here. I dont need to buy his happiness when he is home. Time out away from the house is a treat not a right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)