Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Science Projects

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:11 AM
  • 17 Replies

What are some science projects your child has done perhaps for the School Science Fair???

What were some science project you created when you were a child????

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rkoloms
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:59 AM

I hate science fair and only participated once as a child. My daughter's school begins this in kindergarten; history fair begins in third grade. She did a project comparing cleaning products, which led to what we use to clean at home:

¼ cup white vinegar
¾ cup warm tap water
1 tablespoon baking soda
10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice) 

Robin in Chicago

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I never did one growing up.

Last year was my son's first required year to do one.  He did it on static electricity.  We made a static tube (clear tube filled with Styrofoam).  Then he rubbed different materials on the tube to see which materials created the most static electricity.  His hypothesis is that the wool would, but I think it was actually the cotton that won.

We just in the beginning stages of this year's project.  I think he was debating between a soda project or an engine project.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM

We have not done any yet. I don't remember if I did anything.

starlight1968
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM

we havn't had any for dd yet.  I can't remember doing any myself now that I think about it either...I think it was always a "can if ya want" thing and well I can't remember if I did...I know I'd have wanted too tho..hmmm will be asking my mom lol

Elizabeth4980
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM

DS made some Archimedes Screw Pumps this year.  When I was a kid I did the Loch Ness Monster, Wombats, and Halitosis.

alexbean
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Last year (kinder), dd did hers on rainbows. We looked at how rainbows form when you shine a light through water or through a prism. This year, she did her project on whether sugar crystals form better on string, pipe cleaner, or drinking straw.

MommasCrazi
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM

This year my oldest DD did hers on how plants absorb water. We used white flowers and dyed them with food coloring. She got an A. I was so proud of her.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Quoting MommasCrazi:

This year my oldest DD did hers on how plants absorb water. We used white flowers and dyed them with food coloring. She got an A. I was so proud of her.

That is so cool. I love it.

MommasCrazi
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM

We had so much fun with it. We did Carnations, Tulips, and Roses. The carnations work the best.  The best color we had was the blue. The flowers were gorgeous. I wish my camera worked when we did it they were so pretty.

vlester
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I had some in elementary but yea I don't remember. My son isn't old enough yet they start in 5th grade wait it may now he 4th grade at this school he is at

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)