Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Other than English

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:58 AM
  • 26 Replies

Do you routinely speak a language other than English in your home?

Does your school system offer foreign language courses at the elementary level? What languages and when do they start?

Do you think there is value in having your child learn a foreign language?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JCTVCBN
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM

---  Yes, we also speak Spanish.

Does your school system offer foreign language courses at the elementary level? What languages and when do they start?

---  Unfortunately no.  I think they offer that until high school.  I'm not sure what languages they will offer.  

---  Absolutely, it's so much easier for them to learn another language when they are young. I wish they would offer foreign language courses to kids in elementary school.  If they did,  the kids would know so much by the time they were in high school.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:48 AM

No, we only speak English in our house. The elementary doesn't offer languages. They start offering it middle school. The choice is french and spanish.

mamivon2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I speak swiss german. Which is a dialect of german. My kids understand most of it and speak some. Im trying to teach them but its hard. Our school doesnt offer any other lang.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM

We speak some Hebrew as at home, but mostly English. My kids take Hebrew at school as well, but it is a private school. They can start with Spanish in the 7th grade, I believe. And if a bunch of students sincerely approach the head of the Upper School with a request for another language, he will do his best to make it happen (goes for any other class request.)

Sarahb21
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:16 AM

We only speak English in our house. I wish I knew another language to teach them! My SS's school offers immersion classes. Spanish, Mandarin and French I believe. We wanted to sign him up because it is such a great opportunity, but his mom didn't want to deal with the extra stuff she would have to do with him during the school year and summer.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Quoting mamivon2:

I speak swiss german. Which is a dialect of german. My kids understand most of it and speak some. Im trying to teach them but its hard. Our school doesnt offer any other lang.

My family is Italian and I would love to learn to speak it. My grandmother doesn't know how to anymore, she used to.

amzbrznjz
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

we also sign in our home.  No everyone in the home can hear, I jsut started with my first and kept it through out the other 2

Quoting JCTVCBN:

---  Yes, we also speak Spanish.

---  Unfortunately no.  I think they offer that until high school.  I'm not sure what languages they will offer.  

---  Absolutely, it's so much easier for them to learn another language when they are young. I wish they would offer foreign language courses to kids in elementary school.  If they did,  the kids would know so much by the time they were in high school.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Well we mostly speak English in our home, but I know a little bit of French from my mother and grandmother and I also took German in high school, so I can speak that too.  My sister is fluent in Spanish so my boys and I know a little bit of that and my sister also knows some Russian.  My brother took Japanese in high school - I can say hello.  lol  Sorry I rambled here.

Our school doesn't offer a language until high school (9th grade) and they offer Spanish, French, German, Russian, and Japanese.

My boys love learning words/phrases in other languages and I think that it is good from them to realize that not everyone in the world speak English and does things exactlly how we do them.  The US way is not the only way and I think that knowing and understanding that will serve my boys well in the future.

auroragold
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Well we mostly speak English in our home, but I know a little bit of French from my mother and grandmother and I also took German in high school, so I can speak that too.  My sister is fluent in Spanish so my boys and I know a little bit of that and my sister also knows some Russian.  My brother took Japanese in high school - I can say hello.  lol  Sorry I rambled here.

Our school doesn't offer a language until high school (9th grade) and they offer Spanish, French, German, Russian, and Japanese.

My boys love learning words/phrases in other languages and I think that it is good from them to realize that not everyone in the world speak English and does things exactlly how we do them.  The US way is not the only way and I think that knowing and understanding that will serve my boys well in the future.

EXCELLENT!

auroragold
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I've always used some "spanglish" in our home if only as a way to indoctrinate DD that there are other languages.

We use the Rosetta Stone for spanish for about a year now. It's helpful but I really have to USE the language for it to stick.

Part of our curriculum is unit studies and during a study, we learn phrases and counting from the applicable language. It may not be SPEAKING - but again, it's the exposure to the sounds and concepts of other language.

We also took a sign language class together. It was great but again, if we don't consistently use it - we forget!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)