Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should children bring their toys to school? What do you think?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:50 AM
  • 52 Replies

Do you child(ren) ask to take toys to school?  If so, do you allow them to do so?  Does your child's school have a toy policy?  This is an ongoing debate in our house.  My son wants to bring a baseball size rubber bouncy ball or a football.  I don't like my kids to bring toys to school for a few different reasons.  First, what if it gets lost, broken or stolen.  Second, (as in the case of a ball) what if someone gets hit and hurt by it.  Third, I don't think toys are meant to be brought to school.  I'd love to know what other moms think.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM

We have had the same debate in my family. I do not feel like school is the place for toys. But, I finally gave in and let my 6 yo bring 2 matchbox sized cars (he said it was for recess outside which they do everyday) to school. I stressed to him that they were his responsibility and if they got lost or stolen they would not be replaced. Well, one got lost and my son was upset and while he knew better than to ask for me to replace it, I still have to hear about how he can't find it in the sand at his school. He is no longer allowed to bring toys to school.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Since my kids go to a small private school, I will allow them to take toys on occasion. They've always been responsible and brought back their items.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM

NO, I do NOT allow my dd to take toys to school.  She has wanted to for recess as she says she never gets to swing (kids won't get off to share) so she's got nothing to do.  I told her "use your imagination" but no toy's will go that I KNOW of.  I do not want to hear that she lost em or someone took them and won't give it back etc.  cause I can't replace them.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:33 AM

my kids are permitted by the school to bring toys for play at recess. my kids have to ask me first, so I can approve the toy - and I always remind them that it could get lost, swiped, or broken and they will have to deal with it if that happens.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Mine often take a ball...But if it gets lost or stolen I don't care..its just a ball...they love to play at recess as a group and there is never a ball!..crazy school...Anything else isn't me..I don't think the school lets them either..

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

My son's teacher does an incentive for the kids each week.  Starting Monday they have 60 minutes of free time coming to them on Friday.  If they all behave and do what they are supposed to do all week, they get the full 60 mins,  if they don't,  they lose time...  She allows them to bring toys to school that day so they can play what they want for that block of time.  My son asks me to bring toys and I have the same answer for him each week..  "Yes,  but be responsible for your things,  because if they get broken, or lost, I will not replace them".  Obviously I don't let him take anything expensive,  but I think it helps them learn to make choices and to be responsible for their things. 

by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

My daughter took a small toy everyday over the colder months because they had indoor recess. Usually something small and inexpensive like her ZuZu pet. Now that it's outdoor recess time she almost always brings her jump rope. Our school allows toys to be brought in for recess but if they are lost or broken it's not the schools responsibility so that's why I limit it to less expensive things.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM

My son is not allowed to take toys to school or on the bus. If they are seen with it then it gets taken away and I have to go to the school or bus garage and pick it up. School is not the place for toys or electronics.

by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Our school doesn't permit toys from home, so I haven't had to deal with this often.  The teachers make sure that the kids are aware of the rule and every now and again I just have to remind the boys of it.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

No toys are allowed at our school.  If kids bring them, they have to stay in backpacks.  This way there is no problem with sharing, breaking or losing toys.  Same goes with electronics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)