Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allowances

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM
  • 2 Replies

How do you deal with allowances?  How much do you give your kids for their "regular" chores (if you do), and how much do you give them for irregular chores (if you do)?   The regular chores are emptying the dishwasher and loading it, setting the table, sweeping the kitchen after dinner, or taking out the garbage, just to name a few. 

What consistutes "irregular" chores and allowances for them?  I need to draw a line between the two, but I am not sure how.  Advice/suggestions welcome.  Thanks.

Susan

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
hepmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I don't give my kids one just yet. 

Any "irregular" chores could be things that are beyond the things you expect them to do without being asked.  Scrubbing the tub/toilet might be an irregular chore or picking up sticks in the yard.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM

We used to pay our son an allowance.  Due to a variety of life circumstances, we stopped a few years ago.  I intend to start again once my DH is employeed.

We had our son clean his room and so some other misc. chores around the house, and if he had them completed by the time he went to bed on Sunday evening, he would get an allowance.  We wouldn't pressure him if he skipped a week once in awhile, but he usually regreted it because he had less money.

When we do start paying an allowance, we'll have to start a whole new system since he's older and can do more chores now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)