Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had experience with this before?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

Have you or anyone you've known lived in a city but sent their children to a different public school out of the district because of the poor quality of education and the amazing amount of behavior problems that school has?  My son's elementary school is great, but he will be in middle school before I know and the middle schools in the city aren't good.  They haven't been accredited either sadly, but the state hasn't "taken action" on that school yet.  I've read through SOME of the no child left behind act, but haven't found anything yet that would help us.  We don't want to move cause the neighborhood is great its just that the middle school ugh!  Thanks ladies.

Photobucket

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

check your school districts website, they will offer some information about transferring out of district.  Also contact the districts you are interested in to find out what you need to do.  Some districts only transfer with in the district.  While others will offer enrollment but requires tuition to be paid.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:55 PM

We live in one town and my kids don't go to that school district.  They go to the district that I teach at, which is 10 miles away from where we live.  I'm glad they are in this one because I haven't heard many good things about the district we do live in.

family in the van   Mom of four

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM

how did you get them in a different disctrict?

Quoting soymujer:

We live in one town and my kids don't go to that school district.  They go to the district that I teach at, which is 10 miles away from where we live.  I'm glad they are in this one because I haven't heard many good things about the district we do live in.

Photobucket

tiredgranny521
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:20 PM

How about a private, Charter or Christian school? You do have options.

Kaylin1505AZ
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM
I'm actually dealing with that right now myself. I am almost to the point where I should just homeschool my child. I've talked with her preschool teacher about it and had suggested I get her into a specific school, because the school my daughter would go to has all the "troubled" children. It's very political and overcrowded. At this point the school I want her in has a waiting list of 200 children wanting to get in!
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Yes, I've known people that do it.  We almost did it also for kindergarten.  He was enrolled in the out of district school and everything, but we moved to a different state. I do know people that do that were we live.  In fact my son's BFF does that.  Also, other kids in my son's school do not live in our school district either.

Usually if you call the school or check out their website, there will be instructions on how to apply if you live out of district.  Most schools will take additional kids if there is room because they usually received funding on the amount of students they have.

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM

The local Christian school's stats aren't very good either  and a friend of mine whose step daughter went there said it not worth the money =/ 

Quoting tiredgranny521:

How about a private, Charter or Christian school? You do have options.

Photobucket

vlester
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I did and i used someone else's address I had to have them sign an affidavit and get it notarized each semester

rkoloms
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:13 AM

If you are in Chicago, contact me offlist and I can help you navigate the system.

http://www.greatschools.org/ can help you research schools in your area. Take the time to go to PTA meetings at schools you are considering; a school's parent community offers good insight into the school

Robin in Chicago

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)