Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

my son is going to school in septembe i am excited and sad all at the same time i am worried about him how did you do when your kids first started school any tips for me being a new mom to the whole school thing.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Welcome to the group!

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Welcome to the group!! We are happy you decided to join us.

jkanderson2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:47 PM

thank you

Orjimez
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Hello!

I am pretty new here too! New to everything here so welcome we can learn together. I have 2 kids so I can tell you what I did if you like. I cried, a lot and worried a lot. and hugged him when we went in. But my oldest and amazing son, he pushed me out the door after about 5 minutes and well he was fine. After I left I cried more, odly enough I had my second child at home so that helpded a bit. But if you dont have a second one know that you can go visit him at any time and keep in close contact with teachers, they encourage parents coming in to help. Like story time or just snacks. He and you will be fine Mama its a big change for you both tho congrads!

hepmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Welcome!  We're glad you're here!

Try to relax.  He will do just fine.  : )  It's always difficult to watch them venture into new territory, but he will be okay.  The staff at the school have the first day down to a science and they will make sure he gets to the right place(s), gets fed lunch and snack, and then makes it back home safely once again.  Be sure to remind him how big a boy he is now to boost his confidence. 

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

staysee34
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Hello-

It's always so scary and you can be rest assured that you'll be way more worked up over it than your child or at least that's how it was with my girls.  Whether it be a Head Start, Pre-K, or Kindergarten class the teachers are always looking for parents to come help out.  I always found that driving my kids to school and taking them to the classroom for the first couple of days eased the transition for everyone.  It's hard to let go, even if it is only part of the day, but it's get better as time goes on.

LovinSweetsMama
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Welcome to the group.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hello, and welcome to the group!

welcome

I suggest attending an information night or touring the school now with your son so you are both more comfortable with the situation.  Also, try to remain positive in front of your son.  If he sees you nervous or scared for him, he might get confused or have similar emotions.

I hope his first day of school goes well.  We're here to help try to answer any questions that might come up or to provide support.

Also, we love to see first day of school pictures :) 

rkoloms
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Be as involved with the school as your schedule allows. Get active with the PTA; if you are in Chicago, get active with the LSC (local school council)

Robin in Chicago

vlester
by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)