Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when do your kids need to know how to use the computer?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM
  • 31 Replies

my 4 year love computers and play all his games on the computer when do they use them in school.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parkerkamismom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I have no idea, my son is only in kinder, but he loves the computer too.  IMO, the earlier you start them on it, the better.  Everything is computer based these days and it can't hurt to know how to use them and how they work, right?

bugfree
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM

In kindergarten they use computers almost daily.  I know that my preschooler uses a computer once a week, but I really guess it depends on the preschool you attend. 

jennjones630
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM

My youngest daughter also used a computer in daycare daily.  My other daughter and son  didn't in kindergarten, but did when they got to first grade.

Amy0481
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM

My kids' school started them in pre-K.

Really, though, they're never too young to learn. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM

In our school they start using the computers in Kindergarten.  So I'd say the sooner they know the basics, the better.

Orjimez
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM

They start them in preschool just playing once every  few days depending on the preschool, in kindergarden they will use them daily, and once they are in second grade they actually begin to time them on their typing speed. (my oldest son is in third grade) now this depends on the school too and what their criculm is. Its always best to let them begin early learning when they donl't know they are. When he was in 1st grade he was typing out little two page stories for class. It;s a lot different then the school then I grew up attendting. Hope that helps you a little.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM

My son is in 3rd and has been using them since prekindergarten. He went to a theraputic pre-k and used them for educational games and writing.

AZM
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

My sons started learning the computer early when they were my oldest when he was 4 and my youngest when he was 3.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Quoting AZM:

My sons started learning the computer early when they were my oldest when he was 4 and my youngest when he was 3.

I cant remember a time without a computer in my sons life.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:47 PM

It depends on the school when they start using computers.  Some schools don't have the money for a lot of computers.  But, I believe like the PP that my son was using computers at school starting in kindergarten.  He started taking typing lessons in 2nd grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)