Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTW 5/2/10 - Kids and potential

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM
  • 1 Replies

School and grades are always an issue when kids are involved.

How can you "push" your children to excel and get better grades?

What do you do when you know they have the potential but they don't seem to care? Have you been told by teachers that your child could be getting better grades if she/he tried harder?

When is it ok to let them "sink or swim"?

Robin in Chicago

by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I am not a fan of the "sink or swim" method of parenting. There are certain things (like school) that my child simply hasn't an opinion in... or rather, not an opinion that I take into consideration. She was struggling at the beginning of last year, we found out she had ADD, we found the right medication for her and now she doing beautifully. If she were ever "not living up to potential" then we would find a tutor, I would sit in class with her, we would switch schools... what ever might solve the problem. I am a firm believer that a good teacher makes or breaks a child.

"Sink or swim" is a dangerous theory to have when it comes to your child's education. Allowing them to "sink" for even just one year will follow them for their entire school career. Children haven't the ability to think that far in advance before deciding how to react to different situation. And I hate when parents ASSUME that children know how to put forth their potential even though 8 times out of 10, nobody has ever SHOWN the child how to put forth his best.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)