Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you getting.. (if anything)

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

This week is Teacher Appreciation week...What are you going to get your childrens teachers (if anything) and how much do you usually spend? I'm not sure what to get his teacher this year..

Last year my son was in kindergarten and had 2 teachers. I bought them a nice coffee mug w/ different samples of coffees and made homemade blueberry, banana and pumpkin muffins.

I've been giving for Christmas, teacher appreciation, valentines and end of the year. The teachers at his school aren't allowed to accept gifts over $25 I think it is. I do think it is a nice gesture, for those great teachers. Education is very important and I think they deserve it!

Here is what I put the muffins in.. Simple and cheap DIY.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I am having my boys write a letter and/or draw a picture for their teacher for teacher's appreciation day.  I don't buy the teacher's gifts for teacher appreciation day.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I was going to talk to my son about it this week.  My son normally gives his teacher something on Friday, and usually it's a card or drawing. 

Armywife1998
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Normally I give DD's teacher a $50 gift card to either Office Depot, Walmart/Target, or the local teachers supply store.  However this years teacher sent out a letter saying that in years past that parents have given her gifts for Teachers appreciation, and although she loved the gifts  this year the class was in dire need of some things.  She asked that to give the class the gifts rather than her.  She also provided a list of the things that the class needed.

So this year I bought some of the things on the list and made a donation toward a big gift for the class-A Smart Board.

natesmom1228
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I have to talk to my son. I usually don't do anything, but I might this year.

Bonza7
by on May. 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM

The school plans a week of activities for the kids to do for their teachers, to show appreciation.  Monday the kids write a note or draw a nice picture.  Tuesday they bring in a flower from their garden to make a nice bouquet.  Wednesday is a teacher luncheon, so parents volunteer to cover classes that day.  Thursday the kids go to school wearing the teacher's favorite color.  Friday, I can't remember...You get the idea. 

I learned about what not to get a teacher for a gift through some friends who used to be teachers...Lotions, mugs, and homemade goodies that the kids have had a hand in making...They get a large amount of lotions, mugs, and frankly they just throw out the food, because they are concerned about catching more colds, from unknown conditions with the process of making the food.  I think they worry about their wastlelines as well.  Gift cards tend to be much appreciated, along with items they can use in the classroom.

Due to the budget cuts this and into future years, the teachers have to pay more for anything they need for the classroom.  The kindergarden gals here are trying to sell t-shirts for raising money for next year classroom supplies...

So, I was thinking that it would be nice to ask the teacher to see what they may need for their classrooms, and then purchase items, or get a giftcard for them to get something they need, and will use with the kids.  Maybe some new books...

joliharvey
by on May. 3, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Here are a few ideas:

-Items for use in the classroom.  Ask your kids, they know if the pencil sharpener is broken or if the teacher is always looking for a red pen.  Maybe they need some books in the classroom library or a board game for rainy days.  (Getting your kid to really think about what the teacher needs helps him learn how to be considerate of others.)

-Gift cards for a treat for the teacher (fast food, TCBY, manicure) or for the classroom (Target, Staples).

-Something hand-made by your child- a picture he drew, a poem she wrote, a flower he planted in a pot.

--The teacher's favorite thing as your child sees it.  It's often funny to see what your child thinks the teacher values most (orange slices candies, Diet Pepsi, lunch from the local Mexican restaurant, sticky notes that are NOT yellow, a magazine to flip through during her break).

-If you have several kids at the same school you can take care of all the teachers at once with doughnuts or a cake placed in the teachers lounge. 

And although the teacher probably does not need another wooden apple or mug, she will love it anyway because it shows that you care.  Gifts don't need to be elaborate or expensive.  Give from your heart and teach your child how  to give from his. ;)

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I don't buy anything for my kid's teacher and quite frankly, the school here doesn't make a big deal about it and so I forget when it is for my kids to make something. 

family in the van   Mom of four

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I had no idea it was even a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)