Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you play for music lessons?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm having a hard time knowing what I should offer for music or vocal lessons. 

Let me know what your child gets lessons in.....instrument or vocals

Length of lesson

Group or private

Amount you pay.

THANKS!!!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaRobin
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I love your name!  Are you more of a Downtown Julie Brown or a Homecoming Queen's got a gun Julie Brown?  ;)

My mother gives Lily peeyanno lessons for free, so I'm no help there, but I'm pretty sure others will say they pay for lessons...not play.  *giggle*  That's a great typo. 

JulieBrown
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I'm Julie Brown by marriage.  hehe   I was Julie Jones.  I certainly didn't think my name was that exciting.  :)    I guess if I had to choose I would rather be, Downtown JulieBrown!!

I actually tried teaching my oldest son how to play the guitar and I wanted to give up after the first lesson.  I just don't have the patience for it.  :-) 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM

My oldest son takes instrument lessons at school for free.  His lessons are 45 minutes a week and it is in a group setting.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM

My DD takes private piano lessons 30 minutes a week.  $20 a lesson.

Jazzdoll
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM

My son takes private piano lessons from Ted Allison who is the top instructor in the area; we pay $30 for a 30 minute lesson and he comes to the house (we've been with him a couple years, he may be charging new students more).  We're also responsible for buying the lesson and performance books.  Most instructors in our area charge $20 for 30 minutes, and provide the lesson books, but they don't have nearly the resume or background.

AmyG1976
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM

guitar when they went as a group there were 5 ppl total for 1 hour we paid $10 each. for private we pay $20 for 1 hour.  we use a private person not a company ?? usually meet him at one of the churches he works for as that is an inbetween place for us. he goes to ppl homes too and has some ppl come to his house as well all depends. he does do this kinda as a living along with playing in 3 bands and for 2 churches.

KTMOM
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM

My husband teaches guitar lessons to a couple of kids and he charges $25 for a 45 min lesson (which many times run closer to an hour when all is said and done). 

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I pay $25/child for 1/2 hour of piano. She comes to our house, which helps a lot.

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:45 PM

My kids do not take music lessons.

JulieBrown
by on May. 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Quoting AmyG1976:

guitar when they went as a group there were 5 ppl total for 1 hour we paid $10 each. for private we pay $20 for 1 hour.  we use a private person not a company ?? usually meet him at one of the churches he works for as that is an inbetween place for us. he goes to ppl homes too and has some ppl come to his house as well all depends. he does do this kinda as a living along with playing in 3 bands and for 2 churches.

Does your child do better in private or group lessons?  Is it worth trying both?  Which do you prefer?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)