Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you pay for a tutor?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

Look for a summer tutor 1-2 times a week so that my DD will keep up with his reading and math.  I have asked a couple of tutors, they charge about $25 and $35 an hour. That is quite expensive and something  I cannot afford. How much do you pay for a tutor?  Any cheaper options?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lvmisnenes
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I was looking at one point and was quoted 40/hour but was offered tutoring for free from our school program.  My next step ws going to be calling the local HS or Comm College and go through and advisor or counselor to get a students help.  Good luck.

rkoloms
by on May. 25, 2010 at 6:05 AM

It depends on what your child needs. My 14 year old tutors my neighbors kids in reading for $10 an hour; she helps one of her friend's with math for free.

The going rate (in Chicago) for tutord who are teachers is $35-50 an hour.

Do you know any high school kids who can give your child the needed help? 

Robin in Chicago

RyansMom001
by on May. 25, 2010 at 6:08 AM

25/hr but I've paid as much as 45/hr.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 25, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Here in our area if the tutor is a teacher or even a student the rate per hour for a tutor is $50 an hour just for Elem. children, the rate is higher for Jr High and High School aged kids. They offer free tutoring after school but when I spoke with the teacher she said  she is the only person that handles the tutoring and can only give each child about 10 minutes of her time one on one sometimes less than that. So the kids were basically attending a study-hall not tutoring. So as far as tutoring goes, I help my child by reading over what they need to know and finding practice papers or making them.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I was searching my local library for any summer activities. And I noticed they offer FREE tutoring from our local college students, etc. 

So my suggestion would be to call your local library and check with them to see if they offer anything like this. Best of luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)