Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Urgent: Moving end of school year and skipping SAT exam

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi,

I have a 10 year old (December born) and we moved last week to a new school district thinking of having her in public school for coming fall.  My daughter is going to a private school now and the SAT exam is scheduled to be on Jun 5th.  The public school STAR exam is already done.  The public school is telling us to start her on June 1st in 5th grade so that she can get into 6th grade seemlessly.  If we wait until 6th grade, they say, they cannot assure the seat.  But, this year they will be able to get her in.  So, we are in a great dilemma.  Is it ok for her to skip 5th grade SAT test?  And she missed the STAR exam at public school already.  Will they come back and say, she didn't complete her 5th grade later?  Can someone clarify as soon as possible.  We have to make a decision by the end of the week.   We are in Fremont, California, if that makes any difference.

Thank you very much for your response.

Jo

by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Here in PA our state assesment test has nothing to do with passing or failing a grade.  It is to assess how well the school is doing at teaching the children.  So here, it wouldn't matter if you miss it or not - you wouldn't be penalized in the least. 

I'd ask the public school, just to be sure.  Isn't 10 young for 5th grade?  My son will be 10 this coming Dec and will only be in 4th, he was never had to repeat a year and went to school on time.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 25, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Here in PA our state assesment test has nothing to do with passing or failing a grade.  It is to assess how well the school is doing at teaching the children.  So here, it wouldn't matter if you miss it or not - you wouldn't be penalized in the least. 

I'd ask the public school, just to be sure.  Isn't 10 young for 5th grade?  My son will be 10 this coming Dec and will only be in 4th, he was never had to repeat a year and went to school on time.

In Minnesota, state tests don't determine much besides NCLB as far as I know.  I know they have to pass a test to graduate high school now, but at the elementary level there isn't much of a consequence to the child unless they perform really poorly on the test.  I have a friend that that is a teacher in another school district, and they perform additional testing on top of what the state does.  But the results of those are only used for teacher performance. 

The SAT test sounds like a more local test.  So I have no idea about that.  Hopefully someone from CA can provide some advice on that.

My son is also 10 years old, but he's a September baby right after the cut off.  He's in 4th grade also.  He'll be turning 11 shortly after 5th grade starts for him in the fall.

c_turtle21
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM

When I read SAT...I immediately thought why is a 10 year old taking the SATs LOL Here is Virginia the SOL test can determine grade movement...but if you are going from one school to the next and you have finished the grade level at the previous school they shouldnt be able to hold a child back. We moved at the end of my girls school year last year....and they missed ALL the standardized testing for Virginia(we moved from Kansas), but they could not punish the girls for missing the tests by holding them back because of a move.

And 2 of my girls were/will be 10 for 5th grade. My oldest is going to be a Freshman and is not yet 14 and my middle will be 9 in the 4th grade.

rkoloms
by on May. 25, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Unless she will be applying to an academically advanced program that requires the exam, I wouldn't worry about it.

Robin in Chicago

josri
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Thank you so much to everyone for getting back so quickly.  This is really helpful.  Yes, we confirmed with the public school and they are ok with it and said, in the beginning of 6th grade the teachers will give an assessment test and place her in a group accordingly and she can continue in 6th grade :)

For people who are wondering why she is in 5th grade:

My daughter started in a private school in Kindergarten @ 3-1/2 years.  She was already reading, writing and doing small addition and subtractions.  She was really bored in the daycare she was at.  So, we thought it would be nice for her to be in a school.   When she was in 2nd grade we thought she is too little in her class and she might be not emotionally ready.  So, we made her repeat 2nd grade.  Still she is 6 months ahead :(  She seems to be fitting along well now.  So, we let her continue.  She is December 30th born, so she has to be 6 months ahead or 6 month behind all the time :(  Contrary to that my son eventhough he is June born, going to be 5 coming month and will be going to Kinder.  I think, he is still not ready for K.  LOL.

AmyG1976
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM

i would not worry about it homeschool kids dont take SAT's and can entire public or private without isses

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)