• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Year Round or Not???

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:04 AM
  • 12 Replies

Ok ladies I am having trouble. I don't know if I should put my son in a year-round school or not. If any of you have done this please let me know. 

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eilenej1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Ours is year round.  I love it for the most part.  I work full-time, so when school is not in - they are in the tuition based program at school.  The ONLY problem I've ever encountered is that my youngest has a very hard time transitioning.  He has ADHD and possibly Asperger's.  If we can confirm the Asperger's, we can get him an aid for the out-of-school program and it'll make life so much easier.

RyansMom001
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM

We have a year-round option here and parents who do seem to like it but here are two draw backs they mention:

1.  Your  schdule is different then everyone else so it's often hard for the kids whose friends are not in the year round program

2.  Just when the teachers start getting into a subject and teaching it it seems it's time for another long break.  Year round schools have several long breaks throughtout the year.

That said the parents still seem to really like it.

natesmom1228
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:02 AM

We don't have that option here.

STLMUM
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:02 AM

We live in a year round school district and I LOVE IT!!  I had my doubts at first but it seems to work great.  First off, the kids will begin their new school year in the middle of July. They go for 9 weeks and then they are off for 3.(so they get a 3 week break in the fall, winter and spring). This continues until the summer break which is 6 weeks long.  I can't even imagine doing a normal school year after doing this.  For us, it's like when things get to be too much and we need a break from homework, etc...they get a 3 week break and their minds just relax and then they go back refreshed.  My hubby and I both work but the school does offer a cycle break program where full time care is provided. Of course we pay for it but the program itself is phenomenal and is nationally accredited.  Also, one thing I noticed this winter is that when all the other schools in the state had a ton of kids sick with the swine flu, our kids were on a 3 week break and it gave them a chance not only for the school to be cleaned from top to bottom and germs to die off, but the kids were away and not all the germ spreading going on.

Anyway, I am a total fan of year round school. If you have questions about it, please feel ree to send me a message!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on May. 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM

We don't have that here.

hepmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM

We don't have year-round here either.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.  On one hand, it'd be nice so they wouldn't have to worry about forgetting things they've learned since they're always being stimulated and the things already learned are being reinforced and built upon.  However, I like having all summer to just be lazy and to travel at will. 

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM

The elementary school that my kids are assigned to automatically (our state has open enrollment, so if there is room in another school or district you can apply for it) is a year round school. The parents who do send their kids there like it until the 1st one heads to middle school and then they are on different schedules. That is the only draw back they mention. Most in this neighborhood choice in to different schools or go private because the school itself is not that good.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM

There are two year round schools in my son's district.  I highlighted what I've also heard from parents that have kids attend them.  My son does not go to a year round school.  I was surprised to find out that the year round school in my son's district doesn't even do spring break the same week as my son's school.

Quoting RyansMom001:

We have a year-round option here and parents who do seem to like it but here are two draw backs they mention:

1.  Your  schdule is different then everyone else so it's often hard for the kids whose friends are not in the year round program

2.  Just when the teachers start getting into a subject and teaching it it seems it's time for another long break.  Year round schools have several long breaks throughtout the year.

That said the parents still seem to really like it.

lovemy2boys39
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Quoting STLMUM:

We live in a year round school district and I LOVE IT!!  I had my doubts at first but it seems to work great.  First off, the kids will begin their new school year in the middle of July. They go for 9 weeks and then they are off for 3.(so they get a 3 week break in the fall, winter and spring). This continues until the summer break which is 6 weeks long.  I can't even imagine doing a normal school year after doing this.  For us, it's like when things get to be too much and we need a break from homework, etc...they get a 3 week break and their minds just relax and then they go back refreshed.  My hubby and I both work but the school does offer a cycle break program where full time care is provided. Of course we pay for it but the program itself is phenomenal and is nationally accredited.  Also, one thing I noticed this winter is that when all the other schools in the state had a ton of kids sick with the swine flu, our kids were on a 3 week break and it gave them a chance not only for the school to be cleaned from top to bottom and germs to die off, but the kids were away and not all the germ spreading going on.

Anyway, I am a total fan of year round school. If you have questions about it, please feel ree to send me a message!

That actually sounds really great. So basically they still go the same amount of time as other schools. I like all the little breaks.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

dwagner9
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Not sure where you live--we live in NC and we have Year Round school options.  Both my boys (currently 11 and 9) are in YR and they love it.  As PP mentioned, they go 9 weeks and then are off 3-4 weeks.  However, we also have 4 different "tracks".  This way our school building only has 3/4 of the kids in school at one time (the other track is off).  It is a way for our school to accommodate more kids than normal as we are in a high growth area.  So kids on different tracks have different weeks off, depending upon the track.  Some parents love this because they get to vacation during off peak times--times when traditional calendar schools are not on vacation.  It also provides a break during every season, not just summer. 

Our kids love it and we do too.  In our neighborhood, we have kids going to YR (and then kids who are on different tracks), traditional, magnet schools, charter schools, private schools and then who are homeschooled.  If we lived in a neighborhood where "most" kids attended one school, I think it would have been harder for us to choose a different option.

Someone mentioned that it may get harder as the kids get older.  Here we also have middle schools (grades 6 through 8) on YR calendar, but no high schools on YR.  So if you have more than one child, you may have them on different calendars at some point.

It is hard to tell you whether YR will work best for your family or not--you will utlimately have to decide if it works for you as parents and if your child would adjust well to that type of schedule.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)