Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy I miss my....

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM
  • 12 Replies

Friends from school, I miss my teacher, I miss school in general!

This was what came out of Kasha's mouth...I feel bad because I only know 1 little girl from her class.

How do you help your kids beat the "I MISS SCHOOL" blues?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Your school doesn't publish a directory?  My son's school does, and I tell him if his friend is in the directory that he can call them.  But I keep him busy with sports, rec center programs and friends outside of school, and so he usually doesn't miss any friends from school over the summer.

twhite1983
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

My girls get out of school tomorrow and my oldest was crying this morning because she didn't want to leave her friends. So I told her to get their phone #'s and I would let her call them over summer break. It was so sad watching her cry this morning. My other daughter is ready for school to be over with. She said Kindergarten was boring lol.

lovemy2boys39
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I am sure we will be going through that soon. My son's last day isn't until June 3. He absolutely loves school. I know he is going to miss his friends and miss being at school. But the summer is only 2 1/2 months. He'll be back in no time.

I guess just try to keep your child busy and have a fun summer. School will be back in session before you know it.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Quoting twhite1983:

My girls get out of school tomorrow and my oldest was crying this morning because she didn't want to leave her friends. So I told her to get their phone #'s and I would let her call them over summer break. 

I'm actually going to do a mommy night out with some of the other moms of the girls that Annelise is friends with.  We know each other (some more than others) and so we are hoping to get together often this summer.

lovemy2boys39
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Your school doesn't publish a directory?  My son's school does, and I tell him if his friend is in the directory that he can call them.  But I keep him busy with sports, rec center programs and friends outside of school, and so he usually doesn't miss any friends from school over the summer.

Our schools do not have a directory. I don't know any of my son's classmates address or phone number.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Our school doesn't publish a directory either, I think I'm going to suggest it as a PTA project for next school year.  It would make life so much easier for parents.

I made up business cards with my boys names and our phone number and email on it for them to hand out to their friends.  This way I know that the friend's parents have our correct phone number and they can call us.  My boys have gotten friends phone numbers from school over the years as well.  So we have friends over a few times a week over the summer.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Our school doesn't publish a directory either, I think I'm going to suggest it as a PTA project for next school year.  It would make life so much easier for parents.

I made up business cards with my boys names and our phone number and email on it for them to hand out to their friends.  This way I know that the friend's parents have our correct phone number and they can call us.  My boys have gotten friends phone numbers from school over the years as well.  So we have friends over a few times a week over the summer.

That is a great idea!  I love it.  Even though my son's school publishes the directory, I think that would show to the parents that we are welcome to them calling our house.  I might have to steal the idea from you. 

I wanted to note that the PTO is the one that collects the parent permission to be in the directory, creates the list and covers the costs.  The directory permission slip is included with the start of the year paperwork--like the general field trip permission form and media permission form.  One year they did not have enough volunteers, but they still took the time to email the parents with an Excel speadsheet of what they had that year.

I love the directory.  I've used it to mail out invitations and for my son to look up his friends.  I love the idea of mailing party invitations instead of handing them out in class because then you don't have to worry about hurt feelings if you only hand it out to half the class, and it's easier to include kids in other classes too then.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Quoting lovemy2boys39:

Quoting Barabell:

Our schools do not have a directory. I don't know any of my son's classmates address or phone number.

That's too bad.  I love Steelcrazy's idea of handing out cards so that their friends have the phone number.  Hopefully your son can start collecting a few of his friends numbers next school year :)

My2Munchkinz
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Our PTO published a directory too, but you had to pay $5 to get one.  So even though you put your info in there, many parents never bought a copy.  We have one though.  I LOVE the idea about the business cards!!  I think I may do that too!  Thanks!

jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I have met a lot of the other moms at school events, birthday parties and from volunteering so we exchange numbers and have each other's kids over to play.  We just keep it up over the summer so they don't miss their school friends.  We also keep our boys busy with sports, summer programs through park and rec, and neighbor and church friends. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)