• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe I am one of those moms **update with test results

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM
  • 23 Replies

Okay, all the 1st graders were tested for the GATE program (Gifted and Talented Education Program).  7 of the students in my daughter's class were recommended for GATE and my daughter wasn't.  I have asked her teacher (before the results) how she is doing....i do this often.  Her teacher always says that she is beyond most of the class and is doing really well.  Her writing and math are very good.  With all the assessments they do throughout the year, she almost always gets 5s (3 is passing).  She is constantly done with her work early and just gets busy worksheets (I HATE WORKSHEETS!!) until other people in the class were done.  I have been checking her "busy work" and finding that not only is she doing the busy work but she'll write stories on the back. She loves writing stories.  On her report card she received almost all "O" grades (Outstanding - exceeds expectations) on everything.

I don't think she was challenged at all this year.  The teacher admitted that she doesn't work ahead.  I have not received the scores yet but hopefully soon.

Am I that mom that really thinks her child absolutely belongs in GATE or is she just doing really well?

update on post below

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CassSpade
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I think the GATE program is less about excellerated classes, and more about creative learning. I could be wrong though. I was always in the gifted classes, and it just seemed like it was more work, not extra learning, just more work. You could speak to the principal and have her try it out for a while.

LilGina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:55 AM

My son didn't make gate no surprise is that bad? haha but when I got the letter in the mail saying he didn't qualify it said if i disagree I can request to have him tested again at the beginning of the year. Did yours say anything like that?

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM

My son's school districts tests everyone in Kindergarten and again in 2nd grade.  He tested as average in K, but then as gifted in 2nd.  I think it was the pressure of the test?  IDK. 

My suggestion based my son's results is to have her tested again next year.  I also am aware that my son's school district will test any kid that a parent requests, even if they have taken the test before.  So if he tested as average again in 2nd, I could have request to have him tested again in 3rd grade.  Hopefully your daughter's school district allows the same.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Quoting CassSpade:

I think the GATE program is less about excellerated classes, and more about creative learning. I could be wrong though. I was always in the gifted classes, and it just seemed like it was more work, not extra learning, just more work. You could speak to the principal and have her try it out for a while.

The only thing is that the GATE program is at another school.  She wants to just go to the school because some of her friends are now going to go there for the prgram (which I won't switch her for just that reason).

I read about it but I guess I still don't get it.  I do want her to be challenged but, more importantly, I want her think more creatively and conceptually.  I didn't learn how to do this until later on in my education.  I was a good student but I felt that I could have done way better had I learned to think that way.

I'm not a teacher so I don't know how to do that at home.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I'm not sure how it works at your school, but my sister was in the GATE program at our school and she really wasn't super smart, she was more creative and thought outside the box.  My brother was never in GATE, he was tested a few times but never made the cut - he was the valadictorian of his class, went to Vanderbilt University for medical and is now a genetics researcher.  So not getting into GATE in no way means that your daughter isn't very smart or even smarter than most of the kids.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm not sure how it works at your school, but my sister was in the GATE program at our school and she really wasn't super smart, she was more creative and thought outside the box.  My brother was never in GATE, he was tested a few times but never made the cut - he was the valadictorian of his class, went to Vanderbilt University for medical and is now a genetics researcher.  So not getting into GATE in no way means that your daughter isn't very smart or even smarter than most of the kids.

I have to agree with this comment too.  My son's school district also has a Gifted & Talented school.  When he become recognized as gifted, we decided to stick with his current school.  The G&T school here has so much more homework, but my son is completely challenged throughout the school day at his current school.  With the amount of extracircular activities we keep our son in, I think having more homework would have not helped his interest in school. 

So I would agree that as long as your feel your daughter is learning what she needs to throughout the school year and stays interested in learning, her not going to the GATE school will probably not hurt her future prospects.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM

So, i have the test results and she scored above average in both verbal and quantitative reasoning which means that she does really well with discovery, projects, and their memory is good....which i can totally see because we do this stuff at home and she digs it big time.  The only thing is that discovery and projects from school did not happen at all this year.  All their homework they did were worksheets. 

What she scores at the average is the non-verbal or spatial and "creating visual mental models".  I guess i can see that.  For math, she is really good at numbers but if the problems are visual pictures she does have a bit harder time but usually figures it out. 

The scores indicate that her "above-average reasoning" and learning compensate for the difficulty in spatial learning.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting steelcrazy:

I have to agree with this comment too.  My son's school district also has a Gifted & Talented school.  When he become recognized as gifted, we decided to stick with his current school.  The G&T school here has so much more homework, but my son is completely challenged throughout the school day at his current school.  With the amount of extracircular activities we keep our son in, I think having more homework would have not helped his interest in school. 

So I would agree that as long as your feel your daughter is learning what she needs to throughout the school year and stays interested in learning, her not going to the GATE school will probably not hurt her future prospects.

Thank you both for your support.  Steelcrazy...you are so right.  In reading some of the material and knowing the kids that were picked for GATE, I see her as more logical and i think they are looking for abstract.  I don't know.

I guess I need to see that the skill they want for GATE she doesn't quite have enough of but she'll still succeed with the way she does learn.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM

When I was in school the gifted program was insane to test into... you had to be gifted in ALL areas in order to qualify to go to a piddley half hour class once a week. Our daughter attends a private school and they have no gifted program, so I'm not sure what the requirements are like first hand.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

semazani
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I am one of those moms that sees no point in testing kids unless the parent requests it be done.  My youngest has been tagged for gifted by his teachers since K....they test in 2nd grade.  He took the test this year with everyone else as the school requires, but I have no intention of allowing him to participate at this age. 

One of my 12 year olds tested gifted for math and science.  We allowed him to participate when he reached junior high.  It was his decision and we informed the powers that be if at any point he is no longer interested, then we would pull him. 

My oldest was recommended to skip a grade and we refused.  The biggest issue to look at is their maturity level imo.  Was my son academically ready....maybe.  Was my son socially/emotionally ready....absolutely not.

I see no point in the gifted program in general...esp at the elementary level.  The classes are set up the same as the classes for kids with IEP's.  Any child will excel in a classroom where there are fewer kids and more one on one with the teacher.  Any child will excel when the material is presented multiple different ways to meet each child's learning type. 

Rebecca...wife of Megan...Moms of six crazy kiddos...Seth (14), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (11), Alex (10), and Nicholas (8).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)