Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

i have an 8 year old who gets very bored at school. What can i do?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
natesmom1228
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Welcome to the group!!! I know you will receive lots of advice.

pooh2you_1985
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM

She or he might be smarter than the school work ask them to test them. My nephew is like that so thay put him in what we call a magnet school. Like a privet school but with out the cost. And that go a pase (with school work) to suet the child. he is in 3 rd grad an a reading level of a 6th grad. But he loves it now

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Hello, and welcome to the group! 

welcome

Have you talked to him and/or the teacher to see what's causing the boredom?  I agree with the PP that it could be that he might not be challenged enough.  Sometimes it can be a vision problem or attention span issues.  Can you provide a little more information?

LovinSweetsMama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

proudmom169
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

i definitely think she is not being challenged enough.

rkoloms
by on May. 27, 2010 at 5:45 AM

You have a few options, depending on where you live.

You can look into academically advanced schools in your area (If you are in Chicago, I will be happy to help you navigate the system; feel free to send me a message offlist).

You can supplement your child's education, either with at home activities or enrichment classes.

If your child tests as gifted, and there is not a full time gifted program available, the school may write an IEP for her; many schools do this now, especially those that have cut gifted/talented programs.

Encourage your child to learn about what interests her, with library books and the internet.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)