• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever tie dye before?????

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello,

My son's end of the year party for school is going to be a luau theme. I am having the kids tie dye shirts that they can keep. I have never tie dyed anything before. So does anyone have any tips they can share. There are about 21 kids in his class and we will be doing it 5 kids at a time.

Thanks so much,

Try to believe that if you take the leap you'll be taught how to fly.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LovinSweetsMama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

The last time I did it I was in girl souts so it was many years ago. One thing I would say is make sure the kids are wearing old clothes or an apron b/c it can get messy.

Also have them do it early b/c it takes some time to dry.

Good luck and have fun.

mommy1girl2boys
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:29 PM

we use ti tie rubber bands all over the shirt and bought the dye that goes in the washing machine and then you just washed them ofcourseyou can only use 1 color that way but i don't know how to do it the other way

Xantho
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM
tie them up with bands and you can put dye in spray bottles
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM

We did it last summer at a camp.  We bot the Rit tie dye kits at walmart and mixed it up according to the package directions.  We then would pour the mixture into ketchup/mustard bottles so that the kids could squirt it on their shirts instead of dipping in a bucket of the mixture.  The kids twisted their shirts and put about 12 rubber bands on their shirt.  We have them latex gloves to keep their hands from getting dyed and they wore garbage bags over their clothes to protect them.   Once they were done dying we put the shirt in a plastic grocery store bag still wet and with the rubberbands still on it with a sheet of paper containing the washing instructions from the back of the dye box.  We wrote their name on the bag and gave them back to the kids when it was time to leave. 

rkoloms
by on May. 27, 2010 at 5:23 AM

We just did this last Sunday.

Put the dyed shirts in a ziplock; put the ziplock and washing instructions in a plastic bag.

Tie-dye outside; make sure the rubber bands are really tight. When using multiple colors, always go from light to dark.

Remind everyone that the color is permanent, and clothing worn while tie-dying may get stained.

Robin in Chicago

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

We did it last summer at a camp.  We bot the Rit tie dye kits at walmart and mixed it up according to the package directions.  We then would pour the mixture into ketchup/mustard bottles so that the kids could squirt it on their shirts instead of dipping in a bucket of the mixture.  The kids twisted their shirts and put about 12 rubber bands on their shirt.  We have them latex gloves to keep their hands from getting dyed and they wore garbage bags over their clothes to protect them.   Once they were done dying we put the shirt in a plastic grocery store bag still wet and with the rubberbands still on it with a sheet of paper containing the washing instructions from the back of the dye box.  We wrote their name on the bag and gave them back to the kids when it was time to leave. 

This is how we did it in school. But we went outside and did it. And the had a clothes line up and we hung up the shirts to air dry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)