Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for second grade moms

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM
  • 19 Replies

What are some things that a child needs to know when they start 2nd grade. I just want to make sure my son is ready for next year. I know he is good in reading. But what are the math skills and other skills I should practice with him over the summer.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marinemom03
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

My son has been learning addition, subtraction  and now ..fractions and metric system..

StephanieSH
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM

It think it varies.  My son is in second grade and is doing division and multiplication.  There's a series of books called "What your First Grader Needs to Know", "What Your Second Grader Needs to Know", etc.  You might want to look through that at the library.  You can also go online and try and find out your state's standards for second grade to get a general idea.

AmyG1976
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM

talk to his teacher. after moving 2x I have seen very huge differences as to what the kids do when.

dorky_goddess
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Quoting Marinemom03:

My son has been learning addition, subtraction  and now ..fractions and metric system..

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Does your son do "Everyday Mathematics"?  If so, I can give you an overview.  If not, I have no idea.  Sorry.

c_turtle21
by on May. 27, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I have my girls using the Summer Bridge Activities work books. We have one that is from 1-2 grade and one that is from 3-4th grade.

rkoloms
by on May. 27, 2010 at 5:39 AM

All schools are different. You child will likely bring home a packet to work on over the summer.

For us, it was mainly times math tests. I found free softwate online (called Worksheet Creator, I think), and gave my daughter worksheets two or three times a week.

Robin in Chicago

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 27, 2010 at 8:34 AM

My second grader learned double digit subtraction and addition, fractions, and some multiplication. He was also working with a budget for a few chapters, and doing a refresher course in telling time. And they learned how to use money and all the coin and bill values(refresher course).

anamacsmommy
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM

There is a workbook series that I started buy last yr ($6) at B&N. It's for kids going into the next grade and it keeps them up on what they should know by the second grade

VLY
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:09 AM

READING COMPREHENSION... can't stress that enough. He should be able to answer any questions you may ask him about the book and what happened when.

Math... Money, time, adding, subtracting.

They will be learning: simple fractions, simple geometry (how many sides, corners, edges does it have) more time, more money, more adding/subtracting.

But the biggest thing I have seen lacking in schools is the reading comprehension, time and money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)