Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarden.....

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have two boys ages 3 and 5.  My oldest will be starting Kindergarden this coming school year and  I cannot get over the fact that he is growing up so fast. But besides me having a hard time with it , my youngest son is having a hard time excepting the fact that his older brother wont be going to preschool with him anymore.  How do I explain to my 3 yr old that he will be okay going to preschool and your older brother will fine. How do I also explain to him that his older brother will not be home from school when (the 3 yr old) gets home from school?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I think at 3, your younger son is going to have a hard time understanding it no matter what you tell him.  Just keep talking all summer about brother going to the bigger kids school and him still going to preschool and that brother's school is going to be longer than his.  Read lots of books about kindergarten and just keep talking about it.  After a week or so of school, the youngest one will realize what is going on and it will become the new routine before you even know it.  My youngest was nearly 3 when my oldest started kindergarten and I remember that he didn't really understand it until after it happened a few days.

hill2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Just explain to him in simple terms. My kids were 4 and 5 when my son headed to kindergarten. He was thrilled but his sister the 4 yr old was lonely amd missed him, At 5 they can understand. Its a change so he may be nervous about it. Make it fun and exiting!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I have to agree that at 3yrs old it isn't gonna matter how you explain the situation. He isn't going to really understand until it happens for a few days. I have 3 boys all close in age and each one had to watch this happen and they adjusted after a few days of being lonely. I just filled in the gap with some one on one time and playing with them.

hepmommy
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I would just tell the little one that the older one is going to "big school" and he'll be learning different things now.  Don't fret over it too much; he will adjust just fine with time.

Okiemamatoo3
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Yeah im going to have that problem too...my 4 year old DD qualifies for preschool this upcoming school year and her and my 2 year old DS are INSEPRABLE so the first couple weeks are gonna be a Disaster...BUT i have 6 and 5 year old DS so have been through this before...the first couple weeks are gonna be tough but as the 3 year old realizes that borther does come home after school everything will smooth out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)