Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need to make a decision about school (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son has ADHD and sensory issues.  Our home school has been extremely uncooperative in working with us on helping him during the school day.  My husband is fed up and wants to change schools and our therapist agrees that we should try and find a place that can meet his needs better.  It's the end of the school year and I don't feel like I can do that in time.  I have a tour at a private school tomorrow that costs $20,000 a year which over our budget until I go back to work. Plus, there's no guarantees that a private school will be better.  I don't want to just randomly transfer him to another public school without researching the schools and finding out how they operate.  I have two days to apply for an interdistrict transfer.  Plus if you get an interdistrict transfer and your child has gets an IEP later down the line, they can revoke the permit.  I don't want to just transfer him to another school in our district because the ones near us are pretty much have the same mentality. The deadlines for the charter schools have all come and gone.  I hate to have him suffer through another year at this school but I feel paralyzed with indecision!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyG1976
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:35 PM

look into homeschooling

bmw29
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I homeschool and highly recommend it.

bluestarr80
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM

My six year old has ADHD and even though he is academically gifted and USUALLY has awesome days at school, he has been "marked" by the teachers as a trouble maker. So much happened at our school with the administration not working with us to find a pro-active solution to some of his behavior issues and the teachers have said some inexcusable things to him, blowing every little thing out of porportion. We made a formal complaint at the district office, it was so bad.

Even though he is doing well in school his teacher says really negative things about him and struggles to say 1 thing positive about him.

My son no longer likes school and we will not put him through another year at his school. In our district, transfers are NOT allowed.

We decided to send him to a private university model school, which is MUCH more affordable than a regular private school. A usm private school is usually on Mon-Wed-Fri, and you homeschool (with CLEAR instructions from teachers) on Tue/Thurs.  Look up "university model school" on google with your geographical area! It's a terrific option.

StephanieSH
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestions but I can't homeschool for a number of reasons.  I don't have the temperment or the patience to homeschool my son.  I have to find a more traditional setting that will work for him. Also, I am going back to work full time after being home with my kids for six years.

dorky_goddess
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Save that money you're gonna spend on private schooling, and get yourself an advocate.  It doesn't matter if the staff at your child's school doesn't WANT to cooperate; according to the law, they HAVE to cooperate, and provide the best free and appropriate public education possible.  If they can't, for whatever reason, then they have to foot the bill to send your baby somewhere that can.  You shouldn't have to be inconvenienced just because they don't wanna do their job!

http://th01.deviantart.com/fs14/300W/i/2007/090/2/5/Stewie_Griffin_in_Kill_Lois_by_InsaneKane87.jpg

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Have you contacted the charter schools directly to see if they still have openings or if you can apply for a waiting list?  We moved in July before my son started kindergarten, and many charter schools still had openings even though it was past their deadline.

jcdmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I feel like I could have written your post. After 3 years at a public school. Always fighting for the school to listen to us and the Dr. We are leaving public school.  We can't  go to private school cause in DS IEP he needs an aide.  We are looking into 2 days of class and 3 days of homeschool.  It's a hybride school.

I already work with him at home cause the school doesn't know how to get to him.

Good luck and I agree get an advocate!!

StephanieSH
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Quoting dorky_goddess:

Save that money you're gonna spend on private schooling, and get yourself an advocate.  It doesn't matter if the staff at your child's school doesn't WANT to cooperate; according to the law, they HAVE to cooperate, and provide the best free and appropriate public education possible.  If they can't, for whatever reason, then they have to foot the bill to send your baby somewhere that can.  You shouldn't have to be inconvenienced just because they don't wanna do their job!

I've considered getting him an advocate but I feel like he's already been labled by the school as a "problem" student.  He doesn't have an IEP or a 504.  In order to get a 504 I would have to appeal and the school already thinks of us as a problem family.  It's very frustrating.  The school won't give me a 504 because they claim that they're already doing everything that would be suggested in a 504 so "what's the point?".  So far every one of his teachers and the principal have told me that they've used everything in their bag of tricks and he doesn't respond.  They are constantly pushing medication. He's a smart sweet kid with a good heart.  He's not a trouble maker in any other way other than being a little disruptive in class. 

qkforever
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Quoting dorky_goddess:

This right here.  Schools will tell you whatever they want to be done not what needs to be done.  You bring in an advocate and you will see them jumping through hoops. 

[IMG]http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu284/BackgroundLove_pickups/Greenskittlessp/hearts/1pinkkimber.png[/IMG]

dorky_goddess
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM

This is exactly why you need an advocate.  It's not their job to suggest or push you into medicating your son.  It is, however, their job to provide proper education for him.  The advocate will make them get off their asses and establish and implement a 504 or IEP.  This way, it'll be in writing.  They can't tell you "what's the point?"!  The POINT is that they are a public, state-funded school, and are thereby obligated by law to do what they all went to college for-- TEACH!!!  If they can't do that, or are constantly writing your son off as a "problem student" (which they SOOOOO are not allowed to do, by the way), then maybe they're in the wrong line of work.  Perhaps they should try something a little less complex, like working at the local Dairy Queen!  Once it is in writing that they are fresh out of their "tricks", then they need to pay for him to go to a special school, with a "whole new bag of tricks".  They're just trying to get out of doing their job.  If I were you, I'd tell them, "you only THOUGHT we were a 'problem'; just wait til we get this here advocate on your asses-- now THAT'S a problem!"

Quoting StephanieSH:

Quoting dorky_goddess:

I've considered getting him an advocate but I feel like he's already been labled by the school as a "problem" student.  He doesn't have an IEP or a 504.  In order to get a 504 I would have to appeal and the school already thinks of us as a problem family.  It's very frustrating.  The school won't give me a 504 because they claim that they're already doing everything that would be suggested in a 504 so "what's the point?".  So far every one of his teachers and the principal have told me that they've used everything in their bag of tricks and he doesn't respond.  They are constantly pushing medication. He's a smart sweet kid with a good heart.  He's not a trouble maker in any other way other than being a little disruptive in class. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)