Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

seatbelt safety

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM
  • 11 Replies

banging head into wallwhy  oh why do i see so many kids not properly buckled in the seat. the rules are their for their safety. i work at a pharmacy with a drive- thru and i cannot express how deaply it upsets me to see kids running around the car,hanging out  the sun roof, even infants being in rear facing car seats in the front seat. what is your opinion of the child safety laws?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeandglory53
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM

They are not strict enough. In South Dakota, apparently your child has to be in a car seat until they are 40 lbs. After that, who cares? *rolleyes* Mine are in at least a booster seat until the seat belt is no longer "choking" them.

But yeah, I can't stand to see little kids w/o their belts on. I won't even put the van into drive until all kids are buckled up.

mom0092
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I am now a teacher but I was also a paramedic before teaching. Tennessee requires booster seats until your child is 4'9". I support it. I can't tell you how many times I responded to car accidents where children were injured and it could have totally been avoided if they had been properly restrained. The most common thing is older children who should be in boosters but aren't. Let me tell all that if the seat belt cuts into your child's neck, at a point of impact, that could break bones in the neck. This could cause paralysis, DEATH, loss of ability to speak, the list goes on.

One accident I responded to a child wasn't in a booster and the seat belt crushed bones in his neck,  this cut off his windpipe and when I arrived he couldn't breathe and didn't have a pulse. Time to do CPR but that's not much help if you can't get oxygen down the windpipe to the lungs and it's nearly impossible to get a breathing tube down a crushed airway. Luckily by the grace of the good Lord himself we were able to (it wasn't easy, it was a miracle). Bottom line, PROPERLY RESTRAIN YOUR KIDS!

Sisterchick
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM
In Oregon the kids have to be 8 years old and 80 pounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopeandglory53
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Height I agree with, pounds I do not. A kid could be very obese and not tall enough to sit in a seat w/o being boosted, or just the opposite...extremely tall but very skinny and light weight.

LilGina
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM

I am very very strict on the child safety laws and I take it one step further. lol I plan to rear face my daughter untill hopfully 2 and a half 3 years old because it is safer and want to do all I can to protect her 

auroragold
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:41 AM

The laws are there for a reason - follow them.

I called the police once when I saw a car parked (while dad went into the coffee shop) and the 1 year old was in the car with an older sibling (like 7 yrs) and there was no car seat.

mommytoeandb
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Oh man!  I would be upset too.  :(

I am super strict with the car seats.  I think the laws should be stricter.  I would have ERF if I had known it was safer.  I extended harnessed DD until 6 1/2.  She didn't hit the weight limit for a  booster seat until she was 5 and wasn't ready to sit in a booster at that time.  I plan to extend harness DS as well (he will most likely meet the requirement at 4, but keeping him in the harness is safer!).

It makes me sad that parents will move their kids to a booster early.  I've heard reasons that range from it is easier to the cops won't be able to tell how old they are.  UGH! 

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:55 AM

I think they are there to keep kids safe. I completely agree that some parents are to lax when it comes to safety.

Sabella24
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Ditto!!

Quoting auroragold:

The laws are there for a reason - follow them.

justanotherjen
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I try to just worry about my own kids and not everyone else.  My kids are only a few I know that still use car seats of some kind even though the law here is 8 or 80lbs.  I rarely see kids over the age of 4 in seats.

My girls are all petite for their age.  My oldest will be 10 in a few weeks but is only 4' tall and 45lbs and is still in a booster.  My middle daughter is 7 1/2 and 4' tall and 50lbs and is also in a booster.  My 4yo is 42" and 32lbs and in a 5pt harness booster. They will be in them until they are tall enough to use the regular belt.  Although we will probably have to reevaluate that when our oldest is about 12 because I don't see her being over 4'9" by then (she's only grown an inch in the last 2 years).

My son is the biggest of the 4.  He's 8 1/2 (9 in October) and since we have a pick-up truck sits up front between me and my husbnd if all of us are in the truck (there is only a lap belt there).  If one of the older girls isn't in the car then he sits in their booster seat.  He's about 4'6" and 70lbs.  In another year or so he'll be tall enough to not need the booster at all.  None of their friends use boosters at all and most ride in the front seat with no seat belts at all.

I see people holding their kids in their laps in cars (including babies).  I've seen many infant car seats installed forward facing (not sure how they manage that) instead of buying a convertible seat even though the baby has completely outgrown the infant seat.

Just not my business.  I have enough to worry about and deal with without policing my whole neighborhood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)