Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coffee?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM
  • 29 Replies

Do you let your kids drink coffee?

My brother in law lets his daughter (12) get coffee when they go out to eat. I think its a bit much.........

So, what do you think?

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bonnie
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM

My youngest loves coffee, but I wouldn't EVER give him a cup of his own. I'll usually let him have a sip of mine.

P.S. Hi Sandra!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Yes, we let our son drink coffee.  He's loved it since he first tried it.  I think my mom gave him a sip of her coffee when he was 3 years old, thinking he wouldn't like it and stop asking for some. 

We usually make him drink decaff.  My DH will usually share some with him while waiting for the bus on cold mornings.  Sometimes he'll give him hot coco instead.

justanotherjen
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

No, but I also don't drink coffee and my husband only drinks it at work or when we go out to breakfast.  So it's never been an issue.

My 4yo likes coffee.  My dad used to let her takes sips with his spoon in the morning.  I doubt she would want her own cup any time soon.

mbrackett
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Both my kids love coffee lol.  They only have a tiny bit in the cup though, the rest is milk haha.

jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

We don't let the kids drink coffee.  I put coffee in the same category as soda and they rarely get soda.  I would rather them drink water or milk.  My 10 year old has had coffee ice cream though and liked it.

M4LG5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM

My kids drink coffee....okay, they actually call it coffee but its really chocolate milk.

Some kids do need it.....how caffeine gets gives most people energy, caffeine relaxes some kids with ADHD.  Seriously, my sister had a student and everytime they were about to do homework she would give her a soda.

If it wasn't for the above reason, I don't think it is necessary to give them coffee at all.  I didn't have coffee until college and I'm glad for that. 

If we go to Starbucks, i do order a Strawberries and Cream or Vanilla Bean for my girls.

aMarieT
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

My two oldest boys like coffee.

DS (12) drinks it if I make it, but not without the flavored creamer.

DS (7) will take half a cup, with creamer, and only drink about half of it

lovemy2boys39
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

No way! I did let my oldest take a sip of my iced coffee. He barely got any on his tongue and said it was gross.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

cowboygal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

My 6.5 year old gets some some mornings. He gets a little cream, half thing of coffee, and ice in it.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

No, My son is only 9. He doesn't want to anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)