Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hand held video games....

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do your kids have one?

What kind?

How often do they play them?

Do they take them everywhere?

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lvmisnenes
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Yes.  My DS has PSP (playstation) and my DD has DSlite (nintendo).  They like both and switch off playing them.  They do take them places I drag them too like the mall, doctors office, etc.  We like the PSP b/c u can play movies on it and is great for road trips.  Has internet capability but we don't use it.  They each have pretty nice cases that hold the unit and a few games.

I hear "are we there yet?" much less these days....

justanotherjen
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM

We have a DS Lite.  Technically it belongs to my oldest daughter.  She got it 2 years ago from my dad when she turned 8 but all the kids are allowed to use it...when I say.  They each even have their own games for it and have to share.

They rarely play it, though.  For one, they fight over it with the oldest screaming about how it is hers and it's not fair she has to share (she's extremely selfish).  Even when I do allow them to play and they share whenever it is time to put it up one (usually the oldest) throws a tantrum and refuses to hand it over.  Then, if I don't hide it she will go in my room and take it while I'm in the bathroom and then stay up all night playing it.  Therefore it is hidden in my room at all times.  I don't think anyone has touched it in 2 months.

I never wanted them to have it in the first place.  I told my dad not to get it because it would just cause fights and I knew my oldest wouldn't be responsible enough to use it.  She thinks since it's hers she should be able to play it all day long, every day, whenever she wants.  And she would if I didn't hide it.  She would play for hours and hours straight and if you set a limit or tell her to stop she throws a full out tantrum.  She's almost 10 for crying out loud.

StephanieSH
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

My son has a DS and he gets a little crazy when he plays it so his time is limited.  He's not allowed to use it during the school week.  He's also only allowed to use it if he stops when he's told to stop without any hysterics.  He wasn't that into it until he got two Pokemon games and now it's hard to tear him away.  My daughter has my son's hand-me-down LeapPad. She plays it occassionally but it doesn't make her crazy like the DS does to my son.

jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Michael has the ds and Matthew has the leapster.  We are going to get Matt a ds soon too because he's outgrowing the leapster.  They get used a lot.  They use them a lot during each other's activities so they don't have to sit there board.  We use them for road trips and anywhere they need to sit quietly. 

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM

The older 2 each have a DSi.    They like it, and are allowed to play it as long as their chores are done and are behaved.

katiebug840204
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM

My older 2 have DS's.  They only take them places out of the hosue when I know they will be sitting down bored somewhere.  They play them off and on every day.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:33 AM

My son has a DS lite and a Gameboy Advanced.  He doesn't play them too often at home, and he doesn't take them everywhere either.  They're great for car trips or shopping trips to the hardware store.  Sometimes he'll take them to friends houses, but most of his friends have a Wii and they'll usually play that instead.

MamaBuggy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

My son (almost 5) has a Leapster, and we got him a used Nintendo DS for his bday in 2 weeks. He doesnt HAVE the DS yet, but he will only be able to play it if he deserves it... thats our rule with all non-educational video games...you have to be a good kid to get the chance to play, and if you are misbehaving, you dont get to play... and when he does play its 30 mins-1 hr tops.

Candice ~ Loving wife and mommy of 2

M4LG5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Nope.  I won't buy it for them either.  I think kids today are lacking creativity and finding ways to keep themselves occupied.  My sisters have games on their phones so they will play it and they will play it for awhile.  Finally I'll say "okay, that's enough."

I don't like it as much as I don't like kids walking around with headphones on all the time.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Yes, my son has a Gameboy and Nintendo DS. He takes his DS with him everywhere. Its a lifesaver at times believe me. He uses the DS more then the Gameboy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)