Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED IEP information ASAP

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM
  • 30 Replies

Normally I am one of the moms offering advice. But today I need the advice, websites, etc.

I have a son with ADHD. It has taken 3 yrs to get to where are with him. He is now on medication, which has completely made a wonderful difference in him. SO much that he even told us how much better he feels.

I have did everything I was asked, told and suggested to do in our school district. I took him from one school and placed him into a different school (even when lied to by the school principal), then placed him into another school (and was yet again lied to), and had to place him into a behavior program until he learned to control his behavior a few wks later. He learned to calm down and we did the medicine after we had tried the limitation of foods and adding activities. NOW I am being told he can not attend the school up the street from my house b/c he has and IEP. We were told 3 yrs ago if we did all this crap we did he would be accepted back into that school. WTF!!!! I am so pissed right now, my blood is boiling. I am going to be consulting with our lawyer in the next day or so.

So I am asking that any mom or anyone that has a child with and IEP please tell me what the state laws are regarding school placement, etc. Thanks in advance.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sabella24
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I'm still working on getting my son's IEP in time for kindergarten so I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that public schools could not refuse anyone with a diagnosed "disability" of any kind. I hope you are able to get things accomplished and get them to straighten up.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Kandice I am so upset over  here about this!!! That is crap.  Our boys are pretty much in the same boat with the meds, IEP, and everything.

You can not withhold a child for going to school because of an IEP.  The only way they would be able to do that is if there are no services available at the school. Every school should have something in place for special needs children. I would fight the school and school board. That is not right. Its punishing your child for all the hard work he has done. I would take the documentation that you have stating that you did what you were supposed to and he should be allowed to attend the school. I hate when people in power think they can step all over others and think we should take it. Congrats to your son for doing so well. Meds has made a world of difference in my son also and I don't care what people say.

Please let me know what happens!! I am livid for you.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I have been back and forth on the phone since I posted this. I call the school board, Principal's of the school he now attends and the one we want him to attend. We were told that only the school he is currently in has the IEP in place, therefore he has to attend that school. We live in a distract that has 3 elem. school. The one I have my oldest 2 enrolled into is basically a school that only accepts smart, gifted, honor students. I fought to get my 3 boys in there years ago. Then when we started having issues with my youngest they asked that I place him into a different elem. where he would get more one on one time w/ a teacher and a smaller class. LIES! His class was double the size of the one he was removed from. And the same amount of teachers. But we stuck with it for his education purposes. During that year (2nd yr preK) we tried the foods suggestion, and exercises. (Still do this.) That wasn't helpful. So they asked that when he went into Kindergarten that we place him into the other elem. school where the teacher was trained to handle children with his behavior issues. LIE! It wasn't even a week un til we were called into the school for a meeting. It was then we were asked to place him into a behavior program. So we did. During that time he was supposed to be sent any and all paper work, school work that his class was getting to stay caught up. LIE! He moved up the list and learned to control himself.  During all this time he has been seeing a therapists. And began Concerta to help control the adhd he was dionoshed with. We knew deep down he was ADHD, but had to go though the steps to get him the necessary help. We tried everything we could think of and nothing worked, that is why we choose the meds. During the few wks he was at the BP place he was doing so well they put him back into the elem. school. We were told that if he improved he would allowed to return to the very first school I had him at yrs ago. LIE!

So we told them that we wished to remove his IEP. Okay, now they are saying I didn't enroll him in time to get into the other school. UMMM I filled out the request form in MARCH. So it sounds to me like they don't want a child with ADHD in that school b/c of it being a school of choice. I am waiting on my lawyer to look over every thing and make a few calls then contact me back.

ladyluke2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Talk to the school board.  Unless your son was a very uncontrollable child, they can't do that.  Even if he was they would have had to expelled him first before they could refuse him back in.  I have a 7 year old that had ADHD and they refused to let him in school until he was on meds.  I cave in and got the meds.  He does better but didn't learn anything.  So he is home schooled.   Went from not being able to read to reading pretty good.

lvmom76
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM

They cannot deny him education because of an IEP. Is it a private school?

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Kandice, I'm sorry to say that I can provide you no help besides listening to you vent (which I'm sure is much needed here)!  I also want to let you know that I'm confident you and you DH will do everything possible to make sure your son is getting the best possible education.  ((((HUGS))))

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Kandice I'm pissed for you too!  They are giving you a line of BS and the run-around.  I'm glad that you got the lawyer on it, sometimes that is all it takes.  The only time a public school can deny a child access is if they don't have the ability to provide for that child's special needs - this is certainly not the case here.

BTW - kids with ADHD can go on to be adults with very good and important jobs.  I know of a trauma nurse who is ADHD and loves his job and has been working at the same large hospital for 6 years now.

Christy78
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I do not think that a school can do that. Because every school has to have an IEP and a 504. My  12 and 8 yr old both have an IEP. a 504 is a plan for the child.  My cousin had one because she had bad knees and the school had to give her extra books for home. and she was not to carry to much in her back pack. . I had a friend ibn high school who had an 504.  because  she had back problems and she had to have extra books  for home  and could not carry no more the 20 pounds. Her mom had to go to the school and pick up the books and once school was out she had to bring then back.   Take to the lawyer

supermomofgirls
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM

um my kida all have ieps and go to the local school.this in my opinion is discrimination this could fall under the no child left behind act. This in a way is denying your child an education a school can not say if he cant go they dont have the authoritiy

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

I have been back and forth on the phone since I posted this. I call the school board, Principal's of the school he now attends and the one we want him to attend. We were told that only the school he is currently in has the IEP in place, therefore he has to attend that school. We live in a distract that has 3 elem. school. The one I have my oldest 2 enrolled into is basically a school that only accepts smart, gifted, honor students. I fought to get my 3 boys in there years ago. Then when we started having issues with my youngest they asked that I place him into a different elem. where he would get more one on one time w/ a teacher and a smaller class. LIES! His class was double the size of the one he was removed from. And the same amount of teachers. But we stuck with it for his education purposes. During that year (2nd yr preK) we tried the foods suggestion, and exercises. (Still do this.) That wasn't helpful. So they asked that when he went into Kindergarten that we place him into the other elem. school where the teacher was trained to handle children with his behavior issues. LIE! It wasn't even a week un til we were called into the school for a meeting. It was then we were asked to place him into a behavior program. So we did. During that time he was supposed to be sent any and all paper work, school work that his class was getting to stay caught up. LIE! He moved up the list and learned to control himself.  During all this time he has been seeing a therapists. And began Concerta to help control the adhd he was dionoshed with. We knew deep down he was ADHD, but had to go though the steps to get him the necessary help. We tried everything we could think of and nothing worked, that is why we choose the meds. During the few wks he was at the BP place he was doing so well they put him back into the elem. school. We were told that if he improved he would allowed to return to the very first school I had him at yrs ago. LIE!

So we told them that we wished to remove his IEP. Okay, now they are saying I didn't enroll him in time to get into the other school. UMMM I filled out the request form in MARCH. So it sounds to me like they don't want a child with ADHD in that school b/c of it being a school of choice. I am waiting on my lawyer to look over every thing and make a few calls then contact me back.

You can move the IEP anywhere you want. They moved him before, why is now so much different!!! I think you nailed it when you said the highlighted part. Fight for what you want girl. No one else is going to stand up for him. Good luck and let us know what the lawyer says.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)