Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some good fundraisers?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'd like to get some ideas for fundraisers for our school next year. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Lindsay

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Here are the things my son's school does:

~silent auction, includes donated goods, great gatherings (families host an event and the proceeds to attend go to the school), classroom baskets and classroom projects.

~read-a-thon

~walk-a-thon

~spelling-a-thon

~sells fair trade coffee

~plant sales

Here's what my son's hockey assocaitions does:

~calendar sales, and each calendar has a raffle ticket

~spaghetti dinner

~booyah dinner

~taco fee

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM

basket raffles

candles

cookie dough

Chocolate bars

rkoloms
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM

If I were queen of the world, every family would give the school a check for $100 at the beginning of the school year, and there wouldn't be any fundraisers.

I suggest building relationships with local businesses; many will be willing to donate time, money, goods or services.

Robin in Chicago

MoriahL
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Many companies have fundraisers, like Pampered Chef etc. Mine does as well. We are an international wellness company with products everyone buys all the time. Instead of them buying at the grocery store or walmart they buy from us and money goes toward the school and they are all natural and safe plus they save money on the products!

Contact me if you want more details!

Moriah

STLMUM
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I don't know if your school currently offers Market Day. You can check them out on line at http://www.marketday.com/. I was the chairperson for the committee this year and it's a food company that offers restaurant quality style food. You order once a month and then have pick up night at your school. It's all frozen foods so the truck would deliver at our school about 4:15, we would fill orders and then parents would pick up from 5-6. All the food stays frozen. The food is great and the school earns 10% of the profit. We made a little over $2000 in profit from this. I wish we had more parent participation in it but it is a good program and I can't say enough good things about the quality of the food. My family is hooked on it! It's convenient food too for busy families and cheaper than going on to eat. Plus they have months where they sell pies and cookie dough and you can make even more profit.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

If I were queen of the world, every family would give the school a check for $100 at the beginning of the school year, and there wouldn't be any fundraisers.

I suggest building relationships with local businesses; many will be willing to donate time, money, goods or services.

My son's school does ask of that of parents.  They don't try to push the fundraisers too much, but to run our PTO it does cost a little over $100 a year per child.  So they ask for that throught the year--either in donations directly, silent auction or the "thons" I mentioned in my PP post. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Our school does what they call a basket bonanza. Each classroom is given a theme. IE: Green Thumb(seeds, garden supplies, etc.), It's a Boy!(boy baby items), The Chef(cooking items), Book Worm(books, book lights, book marks). Each child brings in one item to add to the basket. And they ask for basket donations and wrappers for the baskets. Usually they have a ton of baskets. They also have you ask local businesses to donate baskets or items too.

Then they have a day for parents to volunteer to help put together the baskets. Then send out flyer's to be passed out or hung in businesses with the date and time for the bonanza. When you arrive you purchase tickets(10 ~ $5) and put your name and phone number on each ticket. Then you walk around and place your ticket into the basket you wish to receive.  After a few hrs they start pulling names for the baskets. All the money raised goes to whatever they were raising money for.

They also hold a silent auction for larger items donated(IE: varisty jacket from the local sports shop, a big painting, a huge toy, etc.)

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The basket auctions are popular at the schools my kids have attended.  Everyone always wants the Lego Basket or the video game basket!

Bingo Night 

The local highschools in our area also get together once a year an auction off a brand new car.  They are usually able to raise enough funds to purchase new sports equipment for the district. Some of the other raffles have been for a new home theater.  Dinner gift certificates and so on.

There is also the Coca Cola fundraiser.  Where your school can arrange to sell coke products in exchange for a percentage of the sale.  You can order like 10 12-packs of various coke products at a discount through the school, directly from Coke.  

rkoloms
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Does the school participate in The Funding Factory? They can recycle cellphones and ink and toner cartridges and get credits to use to buy technology supplies. The shipping cartons can be requested (for free) and can be used by families and businesses, not just the school.

http://www.fundingfactory.com/

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)