Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speaking of handheld video games...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM
  • 18 Replies

I'm really not into video games and I really don't like handheld video games that much either.  I was pretty adament that I will not be buying one for my kids because I don't like the idea of them on it all the time.  I take the times during short car rides, waiting rooms, etc to talk to my kids.  If they want to do something, they can take paper, coloring books and other games. I'm not a fan BUT......who needs mom....Nana and Papa (my parents) got one for my girls today!

YUP....got a leapster and an "educational" game.  Dammit.  Didn't ask me or anything.  Now all 3 girls want to play with it and they are fighting over who gets to play with it next, etc.

DH doesn't know because he doesn't come home until 8pm.   This is going to be a BIG deal and they will have to earn it to play it...even for a short period of time.  UGH!!!!

We do have Wii but rarely play it at all.  The only time we play it is when our neices and nephews come over.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I don't know what to tell you.  My boys both have Nintendo DS and they aren't on them all the time.  The car ride has to be 30 minutes or longer to take it and I don't permit them in doctor's offices, restaurants, stores, etc.  You just have to set rules and stick with them.  The newness and excitement will wear off really soon too.

How old are your kids?  If they are over 6, they will outgrown the Leapster very quickly so you'll have little worries there.

hepmommy
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Both of my kids have a DS and they only play it occasionally.  We also have a Wii and they only play it if it's cold out or if it's rainy during the summer.  Don't worry about it too much; the "new" will wear off soon and the Leapster will be an afterthought.  Plus, like steelcrazy said, they'll probably outgrow it soon too.

rkoloms
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 5:54 AM

We also have a video game ban; I am sorry that your parents could not respect yours. I hope that this is a one-time event and not part of a pattern.

Robin in Chicago

M4LG5
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't know what to tell you.  My boys both have Nintendo DS and they aren't on them all the time.  The car ride has to be 30 minutes or longer to take it and I don't permit them in doctor's offices, restaurants, stores, etc.  You just have to set rules and stick with them.  The newness and excitement will wear off really soon too.

How old are your kids?  If they are over 6, they will outgrown the Leapster very quickly so you'll have little worries there.

My oldest is 6 (7 in July) and my twins are 4.  We did set some groundrules for it yesterday.  It is something they will have to earn big time. 

M4LG5
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

We also have a video game ban; I am sorry that your parents could not respect yours. I hope that this is a one-time event and not part of a pattern.

What's funny is that my mom doesn't like video games either but she bought it because she thought it would be good for car rides.  I get that...I do.  I just don't like the isolation video games create.  Even last night they were taking turns playing it (10 minutes at a time) and I can see how they were not interacting because of it. 

I did talk to my mom this morning and asked her not to buy any more video games and if she is going to buy something that is more costly than a simple toy or coloring book to ask us.  She agreed. 

cowboygal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM

We have to drive two hours to get to town. Both my kids have the Tag reading pen and books. They use to have the Whizkid but they did not like that much. They love the Tag and I like not hearing them fight. They will be useful tomorrow when we drive 8 hours to NE and then an additional 12-14 on Sunday to get to MI. Along with their portable DVD player.

justanotherjen
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM

That's how we got the DS.  My dad bought it for my oldest for her birthday.

They (all 4 of my kids ages 4-10) have to share it and they only get to play it when I feel like they deserve it.  It's been over a month since I've pulled it out of my drawer and if they start fighting over it and won't share I take it away (like any other toy/item).  They each even have their own games (geared towards their interests and age) to play but they share them all in the end.

We're hoping to get a 2nd one now that the 4yo is playing more that way they only have to share with 1 other person instead of sharing with 3 others. 

They also aren't allowed to take them places.  It stays at home except when my oldest goes to visit her BFF.  Then she takes it with her.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I am sorry your wishes weren't respected. I hope everything gets worked out.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM

My boys each have one, so they ineract with each other while playing a game together.  When you have more than 1 DS you can do what is called mulit-player and have up to 4 people (all with their own DS) playing a game together.  It's really fun, and no different than playing a wii game or xbox game as a family.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys each have one, so they ineract with each other while playing a game together.  When you have more than 1 DS you can do what is called mulit-player and have up to 4 people (all with their own DS) playing a game together.  It's really fun, and no different than playing a wii game or xbox game as a family.

My son loves Pictochat!! Him and his friends are so funny with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)