Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5th grader (as of this August) is growing up!!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:39 AM
  • 14 Replies

My DD who will be 10 in 3 wks wants to learn how to shave her legs... she has a friend who is a year older who has been shaving for a while... so it is partly because her friends shave, and partly that she is self-conscious about the hair on her legs. She won't wear shorts... DD is Hispanic, so her hair appears darker and ppl can see it and she doesn't like that. I've never bothered her about that before, so I don't know if anyone was teasing her about it or what- she won't say- it's "just because". I just taught my baby girl how to shave! OMG, she is growing up!! lol   I told her about the hair-removal creams and about shaving gel and a razor. She said she wanted to learn the "hard" stuff first (being the razor and not nicking herself), so I let her... so far no boo-boos!

I guess my thing is- would you teach your daughter to use a razor or just stick with the Nair or Veet?? Also, is this a good age to start teaching shaving or should we have waited a bit longer?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justanotherjen
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Sooooo, glad my dd has fair hair, lol.  I'm not ready for that stuff.

I'd go with the shaving with my dd (who will be 10 in 2 weeks and has a BFF that is turning 11 in 2 weeks also, the day before my dd's birthday) because that's what I do.  I don't use hair removal stuff or shave gel.  I've always just used my regular body wash all lathered up and have had better results that way.  That's what I'll teach her.  Luckily we haven't gotten to that point.  With 3 girls (so far, still waiting to find out what our last baby will be) I'm not looking forward to all this stuff.  I'm so not a girly-girl and just, blah.  I hated learning all this stuff, hate doing it now, don't want to have to deal with it.  Sigh.  Why did I have to have all these girls?

momto3infl
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I taught my dd with an electric razor this past 5th grade year.  My dd has sensitive skin so I wouldnt use the chemicals with her, and I didnt think she needed to do a razor so that is why the electric one.

Kim24kids
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I would go with electric razor....that what I used at that age.

fiddymommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM

My ten year old has been shaving for two years. Her hair is dark brown and she was getting teased by other kids and wouldn't wear shorts,so I broke down and let her start shaving her legs. I started with and electric razor just to avoid her scarring up her legs. She still uses an electric razor to this day.

I wouldn't use the chemical hair removers on her, you never know how it is going to affect her skin.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I started shaving my legs and underarms at 10 years old.  I have dark hair and alot of it.  My mom had me start with the razor and soap - I wan't even lucky enough to get shave cream ,all I can is ouch!  Personally the chemicals don't work very well on me because my hair is so thick and course.  If I leave it on long enough to work, I have very irritated skin, so I just shave once a day with shave cream and a razor.  Some times I will do my legs in the morning and hit them with an electric razor if we are going someplace nice in the evening.

Sorry so long, lol  I don't have girls, but my 9 1/2 y/o son is using deodorant and zip products.  We are patiently awaiting the underarm hair.

extremelibrary
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Well, my kids are boys, but my 10year old has hair under his arms. I few months ago I had him wear anti persperpant deoderant because of the BO. Thankfully it works.

hopeandglory53
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:06 AM

My 9 year old already wants to shave...She's not old enough! I was never taught how to shave, so I don't know what to tell her and how to show her. I'd rather do other hair removal than shaving (I cannot stand razors!).

hepmommy
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:44 AM

I'd let her use the razor and shave cream if she's adept at it and feels comfortable doing so.  I am somewhat fair-skinned with BLACK hair.  My black leg hair shows up really really well on my light skin so I had to start shaving in the fifth grade too.  The biggest problem was convincing my mom to let me do it at all.  I was getting teased unmercifully by the girls in my class and it was horribly embarrassing. 

Jules4jess
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM

We used the foam stuff first.  Just did it last week.  DD is 10 and she has really hairy legs, light but hairy.  It worked fine, she too has very sensitive skin and it didn't bother her.  However, now the major part is done we will probably switch to a razor.  She also only did below the knee and knee.  We also bought her first real bra this past week.  A big week for FIRSTS!!

I agreed because it was more of a confidence issue and some kids made fun of her last year during the summer.

CrimsonAlchemy
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:28 AM

My girls have wicked sensative skin like myself so razor either with shaving gel or electric is what I'd be using.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)