Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids behind the wheel

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM
  • 24 Replies

When you were little did your parents let you sit on their lap and drive the car around the neighborhood or a parking lot?  Today at Walmart of course where else lol my 8 yr old son and I were walking to our car and he said "Mom a kid was driving a car"  I saw the car in the corner of my eye (not really paying attention) I said well yea you can drive with a permit at age 15, my son said "No mom, a kid younger than me!"  I looked again and sure enough there was a kid driving around an Acura MDX in the Walmart parking lot where there was heavy foot traffic.  I called 911 and proceeded to my car they went to the back of the parking lot where they switched and an even YOUNGER kid who couldn't even see over the dash began driving.  It was crazy, the cops came and I don't know what became of the kids.  But I do remember my dad letting me drive his truck with me on his lap not like that was completely safe but these kids were alone yikes!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:42 PM

No, I never drove my mom's car and my son will not drive mine until he is of legal age.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I drove my parents car in the country with my dad beside me. But I was 12 or older. And I will not let my child in the front seat until they are 13 much less behind the wheel. They are gonna have to wait until they are legal to do the driving part.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Yes, I drove sitting on my dad's lap and I had to be 5 or younger because we moved from the house that I have my oldest memories of doing this at when I was 5.5.

My oldest son has been driving his racing go-cart since he was 7 and last summer at 8.5 he drove my cousins Jeep CJ in a pasture.  He has not driven on any road or paved surface for that matter and I have no intention of letting him do anything like that until he is legal to do so.  When driving in the go-cart he has on a helmet and a harness type seatbelt.  In the Jeep he had on his helmet and the seat belt.  My youngest son has not ever driven anything and he has no desire to.

The thing with my oldest son is that he wants to drive, he wants to drive on the NASCAR circuit when he is old enough, so if someone asks him if he wants a turn at the wheel he is jumping at the chance.  He is planning on racing in the young guns division of our local dirt track when he turns 13, which is their minimum driver age.  I am only slightly nervous about this, because he is a very good driver and has really quick reflexes and good hands.

Sorry so long, and I'm sure some of ya'll will think I'm crazy but that's fine with me.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yes, I drove sitting on my dad's lap and I had to be 5 or younger because we moved from the house that I have my oldest memories of doing this at when I was 5.5.

My oldest son has been driving his racing go-cart since he was 7 and last summer at 8.5 he drove my cousins Jeep CJ in a pasture.  He has not driven on any road or paved surface for that matter and I have no intention of letting him do anything like that until he is legal to do so.  When driving in the go-cart he has on a helmet and a harness type seatbelt.  In the Jeep he had on his helmet and the seat belt.  My youngest son has not ever driven anything and he has no desire to.

The thing with my oldest son is that he wants to drive, he wants to drive on the NASCAR circuit when he is old enough, so if someone asks him if he wants a turn at the wheel he is jumping at the chance.  He is planning on racing in the young guns division of our local dirt track when he turns 13, which is their minimum driver age.  I am only slightly nervous about this, because he is a very good driver and has really quick reflexes and good hands.

Sorry so long, and I'm sure some of ya'll will think I'm crazy but that's fine with me.

Nope, I don't think you are crazy. But you did use it as part of your screen name. So I can't judge, lol.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I was allowed to sit in the drivers seat and pretend I was driving but I couldn't actually drive.  I let my kids' pretend too but not actually driving.

family in the van   Mom of four

momof754
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM

my BIL let my oldest sit on his lap and "drive" the car about 500 ft to pick the rest of us up. we were at a private club when he did this. he also taught all three of my kids 4wheeler safety and is currently teaching them how to ride a 4wheeler. mommy already rides as does my sister and her entire family. i ride with my best friend and his dad and his dad was the one that taught me how to drive in a field beside his house.other than that my kids do not get in the front seat, unless it is to open a door for me cause my hands are full. otherwise they will not get in the front seat until they are of legal age

starlight1968
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:13 PM

On our long trips back/forth from Texas to Pennsylvania during the summers we had a van.  My dad would let us slide onto his lap and let us steer (he did keep a hand on it tho too lol).  He taught us how to look at the hood ornament and the side line on the road to keep straight etc.

Those are some of the best memories I have of my dad.  we were probably 6-10 years during those times.

When we were 16 we drove to visit grandparents in Florida and both my sister and I had drivers ed by then so when we were on a straight highway we'd slip in front of my dad as he would slide out and let us drive...

AmyG1976
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM

now a days EVERYONE should know better. there is no excuse for this. I dont even allow my kids in the frt seat of a car is it just not as safe as the back seat that is that. My kids are all properly restrained beyond the limits of the law and in the back seat. everytime the car is in motion . I did not drive on someones lap as a child. I rode in the backseat.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~Amy wife of 12 years to Bill mommy of 14 years to Jordan~Rose, 9 year old Daniel, 7 year old Mary~Katheryn, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks Jeremy 5 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

lovemy2boys39
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I never drove the car while I was younger. When I about 14 or 15, I think, I would steer from the passenger seat while my mom drove though. I wouldn't turn corners or anything. Just straight and slight curves. If there was a car coming on the opposite side of the street I would stop steering and let my mom take over.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

eblstanford
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I have a vague memory of it, but we lived in the country...not a lot of traffice (back then). Now, when we go to my mom's (she lives in a trailor park) I do let them get in my lap and "drive". The speed limit is only 5mph but I think we only go about 3 lol.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 18 & didn't get my liscense til I was 19. It wasn't my parents that taught me to drive it was my husband. When I did ask my dad, the 1 time, he laughed at me; I was 17.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)