Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don’t let the sun spoil your vacation or weekend get-a-way. The skin of small children burns easily.

Follow these rules for a safer sun-filled day:

• Go to the beach in the cooler parts of the day – before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
  • Apply sunscreen or sun block liberally.
  • Use one with a sun protective factor (SPF) above 15.
  • Use hats and long sleeve shirts and pants if out in the very hot part of the day.
  • Remember that sunrays “bounce” so just being under the beach umbrella is not a guarantee of protection.  

Symptoms:

• Bright red skin
  • Painful areas where skin is red and has not been protected from the sun
  • Blisters
  • In more severe cases, fever

Treatment:

• Apply cool compresses to the burned areas.
  • Do not puncture blisters if they are present. This can lead to infection of the skin.
  • Use acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief of significant discomfort.
  • Soothing lotions may be used. Topical anesthetics should be used only on medical advice.

Call the Doctor if:

• Blistering occurs.
  • Fever is noted.
  • Skin becomes infected or “weeps.”

Remember, everyone can get sunburn and it is no fun! Children will burn more easily than adults, so keep them covered or out of the bright rays of the summer sun. Repeated exposure to the sun may lead to skin cancers and that is just one more reason to be careful of just how much fun in the sun is needed!

By
Dr. Olson Huff FAAP

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM
Replies (11-12):
Kim24kids
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM

good luck

Quoting sherryb1273:

well it looks like i will be calling the dr , i have the weeping skin. thankfully my kids did not get burned so badly. i forgot the lotion and will never forget that ever again, thank you so much for the advice

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:09 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)