Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning to read without phonics

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

Did anyone else here learn to read without phonics, aka Whole Language reading?  Is anyone still using it (schools, home schoolers) in a mainstream setting?

My YDD will be using this method to learn to read because she cannot hear the sounds necessary to use phonics.  Essentially, words have no sound for her.  Rather she will learn whole words by sight instead of sounding them out.

The more I look into it, the more I like the idea and would like to use it with my ODD at home.  She will get phonics at school, but I think applying whole language would be a great help in learning to read - focus on the actual word rather than what they sound like.

by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
srhtinker1981
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I found that putting your TV on closed captioning influenced my 8 yr. old to be above reading level in his class, and no we didn't really do the phonics thing. He seems to already know the words w/out sounding anything out.

AmyG1976
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM

my 5 yr old son is using both however I do think he is doing a lot better with sight words and whole word reading as opposed to his phonics cds. the rest of my kids used phonics though with no prob. I did not use phonics neither did one of my sisters the other did. today as adults we can all read :)  I would start out with her this summer if she is not going to homeschool so that she does not fall behind and get left out since the school will be teaching in a way that wont work for her.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~Amy wife of 12 years to Bill mommy of 14 years to Jordan~Rose, 9 year old Daniel, 7 year old Mary~Katheryn, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks Jeremy 5 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM

No, we all learned through phonics, and it's the preferred method in the schools near us, too, but even with that they still use sight words during the process. If you want to use whole language to teach yours, though, you should be able to find a variety of books on how to teach reading by sight. Then you could work with her at home now and she'll be prepared when school comes. :)

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Quoting srhtinker1981:

I found that putting your TV on closed captioning influenced my 8 yr. old to be above reading level in his class, and no we didn't really do the phonics thing. He seems to already know the words w/out sounding anything out.

I also did this with my boys, and still leave it on.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:37 PM

We taught the kids with sight words and sounding out the words.

rkoloms
by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I learned to read without phonics; my spouse and sister both learned to read phonetically and are terrible spellers.

My daughter learned with a blended method: whole words in books and signs posted all over the house (door, window, etc.); and lots of phonics games.

Most schools use a blend of sight words (many classrooms in primary grades have word walls) and phonics (often workbooks and computer games).

Robin in Chicago

justanotherjen
by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM

My kids' school uses phonics with sight word back up.

I will say, my son (almost 9 and going into 3rd grade) sucks at phonics and this is what happens: when he encounters a word he has never seen before he just has no clue what it is.  Even if it is made up of smaller words he does know he doesn't recognize it and because his phonics is so bad he doesn't understand how to break it down and sound it out.  We're not talking super hard words...just words longer than 5 or 6 letters.

It's a big frustration for him.  He can barely read past an early 2nd grade level because of these issues.

His younger sister (going into 2nd grade) got phonics right away and is already reading at the same level he is and is passing him by.  When she comes across a word she doesn't know she sounds it out and continues on.  My son just has a fit and start crying that he's stupid or he has to ask me what the word is every few seconds.

I don't know how to help him because when I was a kid the response was always, "sound it out" which is what I tell him but he can't or won't.  If I just tell him the word he forgets it a few sentences down the line and asks again.  It's annoying.

LovinSweetsMama
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM

My son learned bth ways. He learned words by sight and his sight words then he learned the way they sound out and go together.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

Quoting srhtinker1981:

Hell, I do that because the girls are usually running around having fun so instead of turning up the volume really high we put the closed caption on.  now, when we go to someone else's house and its loud, i want to put the closed caption on.

rkoloms
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:00 AM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting kmrtigger:

Quoting srhtinker1981:

Hell, I do that because the girls are usually running around having fun so instead of turning up the volume really high we put the closed caption on.  now, when we go to someone else's house and its loud, i want to put the closed caption on.

People have a television on when they have company?

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)