Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you allow....

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM
  • 38 Replies

Your child to go over to a neighbor's whose house isn't clean? I don't mean a little messy or just behind in the housework, I mean dirty dishes on every surface, trash on the floor, chairs and couches torn up, toys everywhere, carpet filthy, old food lying around etc?

Kim  

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IMAMOM2-2KIDS
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM

If it was really that bad...NOPE! Maybe to play outside but not inside.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I wouldn't either.  There are magots in old, rotting food and magots carry disease.  Not to mention the mold spores that could make a kid very sick.  Not worth the risk to me.

bleumonster
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

At first he only did play outside there. I had gotten to know the mom without ever seeing the inside of the house. I don't know if I just saw it at a bad time or what but either nothing had been done in a while or those were destructive kids. She had said she had had trouble with her arm and knees so maybe that was it I don't know. He lost a treasured video game at their house and hasn't been back since LOL so maybe it won't be a problem.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I would definitely say no, for now. I would also speak to the mother about finding the video game. Arrange for the kids to play at your house, until you have a chance to see if their house gets better. It could just be that the mom is having a hard time with her injuries; it doesn't necessarily mean the house is always that way. :-) 

mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Our house isn't the cleanest but we never have dirty dishes or food laying around. But our house is so small for us that we have tons of clutter but in your case, I probably would not,I'm paranoid about my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyG1976
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM

no i would let that child play at my house though and them to play outside together :)

mommynac
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM

No. Have the kids come over to your house, instead. Also, if she is a single mom with an injury, and you really like her and the kids, you could offer to help her clean it up. I'm a single parent, and I know how overwhelming it can be (although my house isn't close to what you describe, it does get a little grimey around the edges.

bleumonster
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

She won't let her kids walk to my house and she won't drive them either. The boys are younger than my son and were too shy to ride in my car because they didn't know him that well. So I guess outdoor play is it LOL.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:40 PM

It would depend on the situation. After you mentioned her having some health issues maybe she was just behind in a ton of cleaning. I would check back again and if the place was in the same condition, then no. My house is always clean but we have clutter. I am slowly getting DF to tackle his clutter piles he makes around the house. I can only clean up what he doesn't complain about me putting away.

Freckles85
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I would NOT let my child stay with anyone that it not family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)