• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do in the Summer?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

This has been the hottest summer so the park or walking trails are out. We no longer have an indoor play place except for the one arcade, which is too expensive, and one small place that has a few bouncy houses, which my kids are almost too big for. Actually I think my daughter is too big for it. Miniature golf is outdoors too so the heat makes that impossible. My kids hate the library as they are not much on reading especially during summer break LOL.

We tend to spend a lot of time at the YMCA, mostly at the pool but sometimes working out, playing basketball etc. We also hit all the the summer movies, and rent others.

I know we are going to get tired of this before summer is over but I just have no ideas of what to do so I was wondering what everyone else did when the heat was in the red?

Kim  

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
insanemomof4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM
We pack up the kids and the van and the dog and we go camping up to my fil's property. We have a camper there and the kids can go swimming in the falls and we have a campfire and we love it. Or if u want how about a state park.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jynnifer292
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Our routine is to go to the beach early, then have lunch, go to the playground or the library. We cook on the fireplace in the yard, unless it is raining, so they can toast marshmallows after supper.  Sometimes we go back to the beach to hunt for crabs and clams after supper. They are usually pretty tired at night. We have friends and cousins come over too. I have been looking for some affordable art classes but can't seem to find any.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM

We go for bike rides, go down by the river and watch the boaters, we hit up the drive in, we hit the woods for some trails in the shade, we hit up water parks and pools. We have and indoor mini blacklight golf place we go to. We have did some of those water games in another post..."how to beat the heat."

MesquiteSAHMof2
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM

My kids are enrolled in the summer reading program at the library.  They like getting the freebies they earn from reading.  We also go to free (water) spraygrounds in our area, we'll picnic there and they enjoying running through the water.  Not sure if you are near a Bass Pro Shop, but they offer free summer workshops for the kids and they earn pins for each workshop.  It's fun, and free.  You could look into your local shops and see if they have any free workshops for the kids this summer.  We also go bike-riding; well, they bike-ride while I run along side them at the park.  Then we hang out at the playground for a snack, etc....  My city offers free "movies in the park" once a week at dusk.   Check into what your city/town may be offering this summer.  

I recommend just researching what is going on and around your town... you'll be surprised what is out there.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM

many of the theaters near us do free movies in the summer so I try to hit as many of those as possible.  the community theater near me also does puppet shows for kids in the summer, not free but cheap, tickets are under $5.  stores like joann's & michaels often have craft workshops on the weekends, some free some cost a small amount, home depot also has workshops for kids on saturday. 

i do try to get them to the park a few days a week, we generally go early in the morn before it gets too hot.  if i don't they get too wild from all their pent up energy.

my daughter likes to read but my son is still young & doesn't get the concept of being quiet in the library so we're skipping that this year but we usually participate in their summer reading program.  we do go to some of the kid programs they have in the summer though, magicians, storytime, etc.

Kim24kids
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Same as U we live by the pool!!!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:27 PM

My pool gets a major workout. lol  Before we had the pool, I'd hook up the sprinkler and let the kids run through that in the yard under a shade tree.  We have squirt gun battles.  My kids love playing with their toys in the basement when it is really hot, the basement is the coolest place in the house and most of their toys are there.

rkoloms
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Library

Museums (some museums have memberships that can be checked out)

Picnic at a mall

Robin in Chicago

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I work full time, and so my son is usually in a summer program.  There is a free one offered for kids that live in our zip code, and my son just loves it.  It has a different theme every week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)