Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Uniforms for Elementary School Children

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM
  • 29 Replies

My children are going back to school this fall at a K-8 school and now they have decided that the kids have to wear uniforms. I'm in between on liking this idea and not liking this idea. My biggest thing is my kindergartener having to wear a belt every day. Now, not only do we have to worry about teaching him to tie his shoes , we also have to teach him how to fasten a belt.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justanotherjen
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM

They have belts that are just magnetic catches.  My son had one in kindergarten for his uniform.  Belts weren't mandatory for K-2 grade, though.

melissabilliot
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Quoting justanotherjen:

They have belts that are just magnetic catches.  My son had one in kindergarten for his uniform.  Belts weren't mandatory for K-2 grade, though.

this..and i rather like the uniforms it keeps me my sons nice clothes in good shape since he isn't wearing them to school...and i only spen 100-150 on ALL his uniforms and i get them from old navy...if i went regular clothes shopping for school i know it would be at least double that.

Group Admin for Young Old School mamma's If your young and Like to keep the way you raise your kids old school then this group is for you...

Misty_Fouse
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Thank you for the idea about the belt s with magentic catches.

Lilmommy2six
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I wouldn't mind if the schools here required uniforms. It would make it a lot easier for me when the kids are choosing what to wear in the morning. I actually, started having them set out clothes the night before to cut down on the time spent choosing what to wear in the morning. I think it would also help teachers and administrators having to spend time enforcing dress codes and use that time to actually teach.

kameka
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I hated it when my daughter had a uniform (kindergarten).  I had to buy the uniforms and then more clothes for her for the weekends.  I've never had a problem with her getting dressed in the morning and I'd rather her be able to wear what she feels comfortable in.  JMO though.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:52 PM

They also have Velcro belts too.

Here is site with and example I am sure you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

http://myselfbelts.com/Shop/Belts-for-Boys.cfm

LovinSweetsMama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM

My sons school wears uniforms and I love them. They don't have to wear belts but he seems to like them. He has a couple diff kinds. He has  a magnetic one, a loop one, and the reg one. But he seems to like the reg ones best.

supermomofgirls
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

my girls have to wear either khakki pants or skirt a navy blue shirt or gold shirt bought from a certain store that prints the school logo on. shoes on non gym days and sneakers on gym days.also white socks.in colder months they have the option between a sweater or a sweatshirt with the school logo printed on.

Misty_Fouse
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I actually just went and bought their first school out fit yesterday. It cost me 61.93 for three shirts and three pairs of shorts.
Illgofirst
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Uniforms are great. Picking out school clothes everyday is easy. Plus all the kids basically look the same and there is no pressure to switch styles mid year because your kids wants to dress in the new style.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)