Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PG13 Movies?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM
  • 18 Replies

At what age should kids watch PG13 movies?  Should they watch them only with an adult if they are under 10?  What do you think?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
texasmom1800
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I let my 8 year old ds watch PG-13 movies with or without me.  He knows not to use the words he hears in the movies or do things that are bad in them.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I think that it depends on the content of the movie and your families values.  What is offensive to one family is not offensive to another.  For me personally cussing isn't offensive and my kids know what they are and aren't allowed to say.  Now for my sister, she takes cussing to the extreme and has a list a mile long of offensive words.  Both of my boys have watched PG-13 movies with and without me in the room.  If it is a movie that we have all watched before then I have less issue with them watching it alone.  The Indiana Jones movies would be a prime example of this, they watched one alone this weekend.

This is one of those parenting areas where there is no right or wrong answer.

sweetmelissa77
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I definitely think it depends on the movie & what your personal convictions are. Indiana Jones movies are GREAT examples, steelcrazy! My son LOVES them & he is 8. I believe they are rated that way for the "action/violence". I think they are fine to watch & he understands it's not real. So I really believe it depends on the movie.

Kylie819
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM
My daughter is allowed to watch select PG13 movies. I always have to screen them first. She can't watch anything with sexual scenes or excessive language or violence, but I let her watch stuff like Harry Potter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemy2boys39
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Normally my almost 7 year old is allowed to watch them.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Buggy979
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM

my girls are allowed to watch what ever rated except xxx movies...

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I think that it depends on the content of the movie and your families values.  What is offensive to one family is not offensive to another.  For me personally cussing isn't offensive and my kids know what they are and aren't allowed to say.  Now for my sister, she takes cussing to the extreme and has a list a mile long of offensive words.  Both of my boys have watched PG-13 movies with and without me in the room.  If it is a movie that we have all watched before then I have less issue with them watching it alone.  The Indiana Jones movies would be a prime example of this, they watched one alone this weekend.

THIS!

chris13
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Quoting kmrtigger:

Quoting steelcrazy:

THIS!

i agree.

Jaye677
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM
My 7 yr old wTched them and sometimes my younger two. The rule in the house is mommy and daddy have to watch it first to see everything that's in it. If it just cursing my DDs understand that they are not to say them, we've termed them "grown-up" words and little ones are not to use them, but if it has sex or alot of violence, then they may not watch them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Quoting chris13:

Quoting kmrtigger:

Quoting steelcrazy:

THIS!

i agree.

I know that I'm great, but you are going to seriously give me a big ego. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)