Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have a 7 and 9 yr old and another on the way. I want them to start being responsible by giving them chores to do around the house but I am not sure what I should give them. They go to camp mon-fri and they want money to buy icee's and I want them to learn the value of a dollar, so does anyone have suggestions.. 

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I would start with having them be responsible for their own rooms.  Have them make their beds, clean their room, get their dirty laundry to the laundry room and put away their own clean laundry.  Also have them be responsible for picking up after themselves around the house, take dirty dishes to the sink or put in the dishwasher, pick up their toys that are around the house, etc.

Rushn311
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I agree!

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would start with having them be responsible for their own rooms.  Have them make their beds, clean their room, get their dirty laundry to the laundry room and put away their own clean laundry.  Also have them be responsible for picking up after themselves around the house, take dirty dishes to the sink or put in the dishwasher, pick up their toys that are around the house, etc.

sarahjoy
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:40 AM

My girls have standard chores like helping put laundry away, helping with dishes or picking up their things. 

they earn money by doing extra things like helping grandma pick weeds in the garden or with yard work... dog sitting and so on.  and they dont even ask for money to do these things but grandma always pays them.  they really dont get money at home for chores... for one I dont have extra to give them.. and for another reason... to me thats just part of being in the household.. you help with the upkeep.. even my 3 year old is reponsible for cleaning her room.. putting water in the bunnys thing. (of course we still have to tell her to each day) 

I have to do a job to earn my money and still do chores when I come home and so do they.

J.Norman
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Mine are 6, 4, and 2. ALL of them have to clean there rooms, make up there beds, feed the animals, and take their laundry to the laundry room daily. Me and the oldest one help my youngest. They have all been doing those chores since they were 2. To earn money they do extras.... walk the dogs, clean the litter box, help take out trash, yard work, give animals bath, and other things we think of.

I agree with PP I go to work and earn money and still have to keep a clean house when I get home and same with DF so they will have to do so also. If they want to earn money they will have to do extras.

Morita-Michelle
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:47 AM

BUMP!

natesmom1228
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I have Nathan clean his room, his playroom, and start the washer every morning. I am going to add vacuuming to the list this week.

pooh2you
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Vacum wash and dry cloths, help fold, there rooms, rinse the dishes, light dusting

Pnkpanther
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:14 AM
I have tried everything when it comes to chores. Simple lists, cool charts, games... Reward systems for completing and punishments for not doing chores.. All I get is a bunch of pouting, stomping, and just down right mean kids. But, I still make them do chores. They have to help with the animals, trash, and and keep picking up after themselves daily. Then there are some weekly chores too.

For my 5, 6, and 11 yr olds I have them clean all the light switches and door knobs, also we use magic erasers around the house on doors and walls at their level where their lil' hands have been. They also can organize books on the shelves. Organize shoes, I usually give them one of these chores each week.

HOPE THIS HELPS :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopeandglory53
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:17 AM

My older two, 9 and 6, have trash duty. My oldest puts the clean dishes from the dishwasher away (she's very tall, so she can reach certain heights her brother can't). The younger two...well, I try to give them a task to do, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

Oh, and oldest is also responsible for putting her clothing away. I tried that with the boy, and what I got was a set of drawers with clothing SHOVED in them :/ So, no more of that mess until he gets older.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I have a 6, 7 and 8yr old and they have been doing chores and being responsible for certain thins since they were about 3 or 4yrs old.

Chores are done on Saturday or during the week if they want a lazy weekend. The chores are usually whatever I ask them do that day. Such as sweep their bedroom floors, and one child sweeps the hall, another the bathroom and the third the steps. Then they help wash windows if they need washed. They also help dust. And take out the trash to the garbage cans beside the house. Occasionally they help wash dishes. But only after they beg me to do it, lol.

Things that I consider their responsibility are having the bed made every morning, changing sheets every week. Doing homework right after school. Putting away laundry when it appears in your room, feeding the cats, putting dirty laundry where it goes everyday. Setting the table and, clearing the table when you are asked each meal time. Getting a shower every evening. And of course putting the toys you had out away when done playing.

Good luck with deciding on what to have the children help do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)