Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I don't get my son

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 1:00 AM
  • 9 Replies
I had my son when I was 17.He was the best baby ever whitch was good since we moved alot and he was constantly uprooted.Now,he will be 8 and all he does is cry,whine and huff at the stupidest things ever!He never cried as a baby,he crys more than my 3yr old...I try talking to him and re explaining whatever i said in case he took it wrong.Why is he so oversensitive?Its been 3yrs since his sister was born and 5 since he had a new daddy,my hubby....so whats this about?
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Msgme
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 10:53 AM
My son was the happiest baby ever grew into the happiest Toddler and was just always a happy kid.  then at about 8 1/2 he started getting Moody. I couldnt figure out what was causing my happy baby boy become such a grouch.  Stil havnt figured it out but have decided its got to be just a part of growing up.  I encourage him to talk about how he's feeling when he gets upset instead of just walkin away in a huff .  He's still quite sensitive but at least he tries to express what made him feel the way he does.
mom2curtyNsammi
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 11:16 AM
My friend took her 9 year old son to the Dr for his yearly check up and he told her he was going through puberty already. So that could be what is wrong with your son. I have no suggestions for you just wanted to give you a heads up.
mommyof_3
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 12:26 PM
I think it is normal at this age Ashtin is 9 and very emotional has been for a few years. Have you talked with the school about it? Sometimes it can  be problems at school.
twistdbutterfly
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 12:42 PM
My son has been that way for a couple of years now. He is 11. He can be the sweetest and most helpful, then he turns to the most hateful. It is driving me nuts. He is sooo mooody. But when I think he is fixing to get that way, I try to be calm and not raise my voice to him and explain to him what's going on. He feeds off the way everyone else is acting. He  also has become VERY lazy! I sometimes catch myself teasing my daughter and tell her he will be living with her when they move out so SHE can take care of him. I know that's mean but if you could see everything she does for him and what little he does for her...

Good Luck! I hope everything gets better for you. I know how streesful it can be.
nrg
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 3:56 PM
My son is also that age, and I work with many boys that age. They are all moody at some level. I just want to say that it is a really hard age. They are not little any more but they are also not big yet. Sometimes they will still act like toddlers, whine, cry, etc. because they still aren't mature enough to express everything they are feeling, and they are changing, and growing alot from 8-11 years. They still haven't reached puberty per say, (usually), but have more teen type feelings. They think girls are gross, but will still say they like certain girls. I think this in-between age is confusing for them. Hope this gives you another avenue of thought. Just be patient, firm, and kind. They really need a rock at this time in thier lives. Good luck.
BeccaC68
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 12:00 AM
I have a 9 yr. old and I hear ya with the whining and stuff...I get tired of it too...but I believe it's just a stage they go thru.  I also have a 13 and 12 yr. old...soo....him being the "baby" and USUALLY getting his way doesn't help! LOL....I know this doesn't help you much either...just know you are not alone!!
freemommy
by on Apr. 17, 2007 at 11:01 PM
I agree that puberty could be the culprit. But also since you mentioned moving a lot, that could play a part in the problem as well. Kids build a sense of security by having stability in thier lives. Since he moved so much when he was young, he might be having a hard time now that he is older finding the security that you are now trying to provide. My son went through this and is just now growing out of it at nearly 12 years old.

I would take special time with your son each week. Have a special day where you spend an hour or 2 with just him. Let him know that you are always there to talk, and encourage him to let you know what is going on in his life. This is what I have done with my sons. And like I said, my oldest son, who moved so much when he was young, has gotten better. I let them each know how special and important to me they are, and give them each a special Mommy/Son date each week. Weather we just go for a walk or to a movie or whatever.
cupcake522
by on Apr. 18, 2007 at 11:39 AM
I am so glad I'm not the only one. My 11 yr old makes me crazy at times. H e will be in a great mood laughing , playing  telling me stuff and just being a kid, the next thing  you know he is crying, hitting things slamming doors or just giving every one dirty looks. I have a friend that her son 3 mon. older than mine and he is the same way. I guess it is the age  and a stage . But what do you do to make it easer on him( not to mention those of us that have to live w/ them). And I thought boys would be easer than girls!!
Deanalove
by on Apr. 18, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Some kids are just whiny and braty, or bullies or snobby. I think sometimes you just have to let them know its not ok, reward them for good behavior. Not all the time just let them know they were good that day or a special dessert after dinner. Ask him if he knows any other kids his age that do that. Does he think he will get his way if he whines and cries? Does he do it at school or just at home?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN